Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Cruise Control Frustrations

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Cruise Control Frustrations

2008 F-150 5.4

My cruise control became intermittent a couple years ago. I replaced all tail light bulbs at that time. Kind of helped it but not really. Over time, it began to cut out more and more often until, recently it quit all together.

My clock spring has been noisy for a couple months so I replaced that, along with the cruise control switches. Today, I replaced the cruise control release switch and all the tail lights. Still, the cruise does not work 95% of the time or worse.

I read that the brake light switch can be disassembled, so I did that and cleaned it today. I noticed that there was "burn marks" on two of the contacts. I cleaned them as best I could and they looked good after. I lubed the sliding mechanism in the switch. Still........no cruise.

Can a faulty brake light switch cause this? Is there a way for me to test the switch?
Can anybody offer any help? Thank you.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:15 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Have you pulled out your third brake light housing and checked for corrosion on the wires ? CC circuit use resistance from the third brake for de-activate
The following users liked this post:
strtbobber (12-14-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by techrep
Have you pulled out your third brake light housing and checked for corrosion on the wires ? CC circuit use resistance from the third brake for de-activate
Thanks, I will check into that today.
Old 12-14-2017, 03:48 PM
Mark

Your welcome.. let us know.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:14 PM

As far as I know, all components have been replaced now. Today, I replaced the brake switch and double checked the fuses. I am at a complete loss. Still no cruise. What could be left to check or replace or repair??
Old 12-15-2017, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by techrep
I have had the high mount housing out at least 6 times in the past few days. Yesterday, I took a small wire brush and cleaned the contacts in the socket. Looked good to the naked eye. replaced the bulb AGAIN, just in case. Still no cruise.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:19 PM

I did notice today, after replacing the brake switch, that there is a sound coming from the steering column/shifter area when I take my foot OFF the brake ONLY while in Park. It almost sounds like a ratcheting servo sound. That's a new one to me........
Old 12-15-2017, 08:24 PM

In the last year or two, the green cruise control indicator on dash has not always worked when the cruise was set. Is there any way that, if the indicator light bulb was burnt out, it would not allow the cruise control to work? I am totally lost here.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:19 AM
Mark

Don’t know if that would kill the circuit.. but, you never know. I don’t have schematic of that system. The cluster is easy to remove and you could replace that bulb.
Old 12-17-2017, 01:02 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The noise you are hearing in the column is your shift lock. It locks the shifter in Park until the brake pedal is pushed.
When you say the green cruise light has sometimes not worked does this also mean the cruise didn't work?
Have you taken apart the steering controls and confirmed all switches are working? Perhaps you'e had a dodgy on/off switch?
Cheers
Daz

Quick Reply: Cruise Control Frustrations