Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Cross Country Trip

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 09:16 PM
Little Whitey

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Cross Country Trip

Hey all,

Going to be making a cross country drive from VA to Reno Nevada. Just curious on what to take with me in case of a break down. Need to finish up a few repairs on the truck like plugs and coil packs and some fluids but wanted to know what to take with me. Never drove that far before so it will be a first. Any advice is welcome!

Thanks guys and gals!
Old 06-26-2011, 10:26 PM

Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts

well pretty much the simple stuff is what i would take. jack, spare tire that fits, a good flashlight, small wrench set, screw drivers, hammer, tow rope.
Usually I bring Windex and paper towels, keeping the windshield clean is important. I have extra fuses for lights and 4x4, only because i blew one when i was in need of 4x4. I've heard of some people bringing extra headlight/tailight bulbs, i never have.
Also if it's in the middle of no where, i'd bring a few gallons of water, can be used for the engine, or drinking. Food in case you break down as well. Blankets in case it gets cold. Towels to clean up any messes. comfortable shoes, gas can in case you run out and have to walk. a few quarts of oil in case you need some. I'd make sure i'd have a tire pressure gauge, jumper cables, and maybe one of those portable batteries to jump start. That's about all i can think of.
Oh and a cell phone, but who doesn't have one of those these days?
Old 06-26-2011, 10:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and a cell phone charger.

I did a 1500mile trip to NE from FL and then another 1500 back. I just hit the road after an oil change and that was that. Didn't have any issues.
Though keeping a clean windshield is important, I was lucky with deer on the roads, but if i wasnt able to see em easily it may of been different
Old 06-28-2011, 12:22 AM
Little Whitey

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Never thought about the windex. Problem is trying to find space for all the luggage I'm going to need plus some of the emergency stuff and also equipment. Could put stuff in the bed but I wont be too fond of it getting wet and my toolbox only has enough room for whats already in there. Definitely have some planning to do.

Quick Reply: Cross Country Trip