Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Crappy gas mileage... out of ideas

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crappy gas mileage... out of ideas

I religiously check my gas mileage at every fill up, and today's number has me confused and a little pissed.

I was getting 13-14mpg pretty consistently, and figured I'd do a tuneup, with new plugs (Motorcraft SP-546), and new coils (MSD Street Fire coils). No change in gas mileage over the past month or so... which was very disappointing.

After filling up the tank today, I did the math... twice just to make sure I didn't make an error. I got 12.3mpg. WTF???

I'm fresh out of options on what to do at this point. Anyone have any ideas what could be wrong? Engine runs strong and idles smooth. No cam phaser issues, no exhaust leaks, no codes. I'm using either 89 or 92 octane with no apparent change or improvement with either octane rating.

Last edited by NChoy; 02-22-2018 at 09:58 PM.
Old 02-23-2018, 03:42 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 627 Likes on 564 Posts

Default how much load are you carrying

It makes a big difference . I carry a lot but shes a working truck . I empty her out now and then and she gets real frisky.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:01 AM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

Winter blend gas?
Old 02-23-2018, 08:05 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

crappy gas mileage???? I get 11.8 I don't see an issue its a heavy brick with a huge engine. Its going to be crappy. All kinds of things come into account driving style, roads, inclines, tire pressure, tire wear, gas, air density. crap its everything. I wouldn't worry about it drive it till the wheels fall off. If you are really worried about gas milage get a Prius as a daily.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:18 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Clean the throttle body and Maf with proper cleaners.. change fuel filter..disconnect battery during this maintenance and re-connect when done.. do re-learn procedures...this will re-set fuel trim levels. You are wasting your money on anything above 87 oct. unless you have a tune.
The following users liked this post:
digitaltrucker (02-24-2018)
Old 02-23-2018, 08:34 AM
LightningRod

Received 641 Likes on 514 Posts

Like @redfishtd asked, "how much load are you carrying"? With those integrated USB chargers, aux input for iPod/iPhone you got on there, you probably downloaded too much music and data! "LOL". But I wouldn't go as far as @jaiello suggests!

SERIOUSLY. I agree with @jaiello, 12.3mpg is really not bad - especially being down 1 to 1.7mpg from norm. All the varying conditions as ratio of city/hwy or driving conditions (speed/temp/head wind) or route (hilly/level) can very easily make that difference.

You did not mention miles or other engine health. My 2004 5.4l Lariat is 2WD, stock lift- wheels-tires etc, and it will not beat that much (.5mpg) on average. And I have seen it below 12.3 with 25%-30% increase in city driving.

@techrep is 'RIGHT' again! I would just add that 92 octane fuel does not contain more energy than 89 octane, or 87-88 for that matter. No more BTU in it. That rating is an inverse rating of ignition point (pressure/temperature) and how 'fast' it burns. Higher octane = higher presure/temperature before it ignites, then it burns slower. That would make one think it is not as 'potent'. But your PCM monitors engine 'labor knock' constantly in a closed loop fashion exactly like O2 sensors -v- injector pulse width, or cam retard position -v- PCM requested retard. If the PCM detects pre-ignition, it will decrease ignition timing AND adjust cam retard to stop the pre-ignition as determined from the 'Knock Sensors'. The NET result of this _can_ be a small but measurable improvement in milage (just not enough % difference to justify the difference in fuel cost).

The reason I mention all this ^^^^ malarky. I had a 'very' noisy A/C compressor on my truck - Never connected the two, but had noticed Knock Sensor voltage on Bank 1 consistently ran very much higher than bank 2. When I changed the A/C compressor - I noticed it came down to normal / even with Bank2. I was VERY SURPRISED the Knock Sensor could sense vibration coming from a bad bearing in front of the engine.

After replacing the A/C compressor, I noticed a difference in power responsiveness ---- and "I THINK" (though we can convince ourselves of mis-truths sometimes) I noticed an improvement in mileage. I definitely CAN see ignition timing is VERY sensitive to Knock Sensor voltage by monitoring live data on them both. You might analyze that as a possibility. Increasing timing and adjusting retard both have an impact on performance, power, efficiency - and mileage. So try to keep the engine as quiet as possible and free of vibrations. Just a thought.

Last edited by F150Torqued; 02-23-2018 at 08:38 AM.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:50 AM
SSDD

Received 1,611 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Fuel filter ever been changed
Edit: just saw that techrep mentioned this
Old 02-23-2018, 08:55 AM
Super Duper Senior Member

Received 346 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by BadFish523
Winter blend gas?
This. You are still using winter blend in Oregon. Winter blend nets you worse mileage.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:25 AM
Renaissance Honky

Received 154 Likes on 134 Posts

That kind of mileage drop can be as simple as filling up at a different pump with a different nozzle and/or different grade where the car is parked. If it keeps up at the same pump across three or more tanks, then you have a problem.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:49 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tuflehundon
This. You are still using winter blend in Oregon. Winter blend nets you worse mileage.
We are stuck with winter blend year round in Oregon...10% Ethanol blend..can only buy E0 in 92 octane.

Quick Reply: Crappy gas mileage... out of ideas