Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

converting from motor vehicle to self propelled implement of husbandry

Old 04-14-2017, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool converting from motor vehicle to self propelled implement of husbandry

Using my 2007 F150 only for farm duty -
It must be modified to make it impractical for use on the highways
I want it to run ONLY in 1st gear, which renders it impossible to maintain highway speeds
Will disconnecting the vss or oss or both keep it from shifting out of 1st gear?
Old 04-14-2017, 06:18 PM

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Im going out on a limb here........why not just use the #1 on the shifter?
Old 04-14-2017, 09:29 PM
Gold Member

Received 165 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by farmerfrank
It must be modified to make it impractical for use on the highways,which renders it impossible to maintain highway speeds
For a second I thought this was going to be another thread about a 6" lift and 37" tires...
Old 04-14-2017, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by who_knos
Im going out on a limb here........why not just use the #1 on the shifter?
If I just use Low, the vehicle can still be used for it's originally intended purpose as a "motor vehicle", must be insured, registered saftied etc - but if I convert it to a self propelled implement of husbandry that can no longer be used to perform its originally intended purpose, I can just slap a slow moving vehicle sign on it and carry my crops from the outlying farms to my home farm without paying for all that extra "motor vehicle" stuff.

The vehicle has to be modified according to the highway traffic act "it must be "impractical" to be used for its original intended purpose"

the infinite wisdom of our legislators don't ya know
Old 04-15-2017, 12:20 AM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,576 Likes on 6,195 Posts

So take it to a transmission shop and tell them you need all gears except 1st taken out. Problem solved. So what vehicle is this 2007 replacing?
Old 04-15-2017, 12:48 AM

We used to be able to remove the doors windows seats and roof of the cab to make the vehicles unable to be used for their original purpose, but that is now illegal. The last few trucks we've converted were manual transmissions, was easy enough to block the slots for all but 1st and reverse - my old 91 f150 was automatic, I just had to disable the rotary solenoid on the throttle body to keep it from shifting - but the new trannies have the DTS module, and any lead I disable keeps the vehicle from starting - I'm going to try unhooking the speed sensors - I think the computer won't send a signal to shift out of 1st if it thinks the vehicle isn't moving.
Old 04-15-2017, 09:08 AM

Is the truck 2 or 4wd, if its 2wd couldnt you do some steep gears or if 4wd maybe lock the transfer case in 4 low and pull the shift motor that way it would still be able to have 2wd as well. Just throwing different ideas out there.
Old 04-15-2017, 12:31 PM
Gold Member

Received 165 Likes on 121 Posts

What state are you in? I can't imagine a LEO hassling a farmer out in the middle of nowhere driving slow with flashers on and a slow-moving vehicle sign on the back.
Old 04-15-2017, 12:52 PM

Its not so much the cops as it is the government, he wants to avoid having to pay all that comes with having a legal vehicle like insurance, plates, and possible inspections. Wants it to have the treatment as a tractor, if its a legal truck the cops could get him on expired plates, no insurance and not being smoged if applicable.
Old 04-15-2017, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by who_knos
Its not so much the cops as it is the government, he wants to avoid having to pay all that comes with having a legal vehicle like insurance, plates, and possible inspections. Wants it to have the treatment as a tractor, if its a legal truck the cops could get him on expired plates, no insurance and not being smoged if applicable.
Exactly! -
the vehicle does 99% of its driving on the farm - only used to travel from farm to farm or for service - - not for personal use. Since its used exclusively for food production, it qualifies as a spih providing it can't be used also as a commercial or personal motor vehicle - disabling the higher gears renders it unable to maintain speeds over 40kmh - thereby classifies it as a "slow moving vehicle"
also, we had a worker get drunk and drive like a maniac in the orchard - he forgot to stop when he crashed through 2 barns nearly killing 9 ladies in the packhouse - we've been removing the high gears since 1970 on our farm - slow and steady does it!

Last edited by farmerfrank; 04-15-2017 at 01:30 PM.

Search this Thread