Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Column Shifter Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Column Shifter Problems

I have a 2008 f150 xlt with a column shifter. For about a year now it has been been very sticky and hard to change between P N D R. Now though it is also not starting in park from time to time unless I really shake the shifter around. It also has not been going into reverse from time to time unless I try it about 5 or 6 times. Any clue what it could be? I have checked the torq screws under the dash but have not checked linkage on the tranny as I don't have a ton of experience with linkages and don't want to mess anything up. Other than that the tranny itself shifts flawlessly once in gear. Any info would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:33 AM

Received 665 Likes on 517 Posts

I would say it has some5hing to do with your shift cable. Mine melted through on the headers.
Also, the clip, where it attaches to the transmission, may broken. You can crawl under the truck, and take a look at it. Drivers side.
If it's the cable, it's not that hard to replace. If I remember correctly, it was about $35 from the dealer.
Old 02-05-2017, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by powerranger262
I would say it has some5hing to do with your shift cable. Mine melted through on the headers.
Also, the clip, where it attaches to the transmission, may broken. You can crawl under the truck, and take a look at it. Drivers side.
If it's the cable, it's not that hard to replace. If I remember correctly, it was about $35 from the dealer.
I will have to check that out when I get back from school next weekend. Thanks for the tips.