Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Cold startup fueling issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 04:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cold startup fueling issue

OK guys and gals need some help. Yesterday started the my truck ran it for like 2mins and pulled out to head down to town when she started to stuuter. I pulled over right away. No CEL light no check engine nothing. My buddy pulls up in his (competitors truck) laughing. suggests it could be fuel pump or frozen fuel lines. Now after like an 30 mins idling the hesitation disappears. Weird. Ran some gas line antifreeze (couldn't hurt)
Relevant info fuel filter changed last month, fuel pressure (according to the edge seems to hunt from 70psi to 30 to 20 back to 70 ish (all over in these ranges but constantly hunts)
Today same crap truck starts fine but the truck starts acting like the fuel pump is dieing. After i ran it for 30 mins still did it so i shut her off and took the wifeys GG.
Now i know pumps usually just die ( had it happen before) but this is a new one to me. We are going to scan her in the am to see if it happens again. Also check pump connections and all the obvious but any input is appreciated.
TYIA
Old 01-02-2011, 05:06 AM

Received 434 Likes on 289 Posts

Likely suspect? Fuel pump control module, particularly with the fuel pressure hunting like that.

It's mounted on the frame rail by the spare tire.

Careful if you go to physically check the thing, though. When mine went, the mechanic went to check it and the housing was so rotted it came off in his hand.

Last edited by gone postal; 01-02-2011 at 05:10 AM.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thanks for the idea

I am going to check that first thing in the am.

Quick Reply: Cold startup fueling issue