Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Cold Air Intake???

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 12:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cold Air Intake???

I've been doing my research & I've been wanting to get a CAI but I haven't found a good one for my 04 5.4L f150. I heard the K&N's suck and are nothing but trouble. Let me know what you guys are running in your trucks. I was thinking about getting a roush one since its made & used by ford.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:09 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Some say a CAI (without tuning) will make the truck run lean. I don't have a CAI, so take that for what its worth. I'd do some research, especialy if you are stock and just thinking about adding a CAI to have something extra. (it doesn't do that much, if anything)
Old 12-04-2013, 01:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a volant with a power core filter. I'm also tuned with a bully dog GT tuner.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:18 AM
12 Second Truck

Received 131 Likes on 106 Posts

The Roush part is not made by Ford. I don't believe it's used by Ford either unless you are refering to a Roush supercharger kit. It is made by Airaid. I had one and the truck did feel stronger. It didn't seal around the edges at all so it was hardly a cold air intake. It did seal to the hood nicely. I sold it and returned to stock. I could definetly feel a loss in acceleration despite having a K&N flat panel filter on the stock intake. I fixed that with a supercharger

I think the the Volant system is the best bang for the buck regarding CAI's. It's hard to argue with a sealed box.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:41 AM
Horse

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a S&B intake and I like it. The filter is inclosed wich I like because it keeps the salt and water away here in our michigan winters. I bought it from 5star and it was very well priced. I bought it as a combo with a sct tuner.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:19 AM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

ya there is a lean issue for 04-45 years and not sure if it can be avoided but look into it. try to find one that doesn't relocate the mass from its stock position...i think that is what causes the lean issue as more air is flowing around the mass and not being taking into account. but like i said look into it
Old 12-04-2013, 11:56 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have an AFE intake and Edge programmer. I've had that combo for probably 125,000 miles now. Never had a CEL. FWIW, the inside of my tail pipe is a little sooty.
The following users liked this post:
AutoAnything (12-04-2013)
Old 12-04-2013, 07:16 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I've got K&N CIA and other mods but I've had no issues with the kit what so ever. I put it on after my Roush exhaust and it makes a lot more engine noise that u can hear from the drivers seat. Keep it clean and you shouldn't have any issues IMO. I didn't build my truck (referring to mods) for fuel economy so I won't say if I gained mpg or not. I've heard u don't gain much. HP is advertised at 12-15 I believe but it's not very noticeable until higher rpms (so I think because it's much louder). Buddy of mine put a K&N on his brand new Ram hemi with stock exhaust and it makes everything a little louder. Do NOT buy a Roush CIA as it's just a name ur paying for. Buy plastic not stainless steel (heat factor). Hope this helps your decision!!
Old 12-04-2013, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Surkanos
I've got K&N CIA and other mods but I've had no issues with the kit what so ever. I put it on after my Roush exhaust and it makes a lot more engine noise that u can hear from the drivers seat. Keep it clean and you shouldn't have any issues IMO. I didn't build my truck (referring to mods) for fuel economy so I won't say if I gained mpg or not. I've heard u don't gain much. HP is advertised at 12-15 I believe but it's not very noticeable until higher rpms (so I think because it's much louder). Buddy of mine put a K&N on his brand new Ram hemi with stock exhaust and it makes everything a little louder. Do NOT buy a Roush CIA as it's just a name ur paying for. Buy plastic not stainless steel (heat factor). Hope this helps your decision!!
What other mods do you have?? Will i need to get a new mass air flow sensor if i get this k&n cai? I dont want to lean it out with the more airflow coming
Old 12-05-2013, 12:04 AM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Austin244
What other mods do you have?? Will i need to get a new mass air flow sensor if i get this k&n cai? I dont want to lean it out with the more airflow coming
K&N CAI, 85mm BBK throttle body, gibsons shorty headers, Roush off-road cat back exhaust and SCT tuner with custom tune for the mods. Cutting out my cats soon too. I didn't change mine, but I've heard the oil can eventually screw it up but I've had mine installed for 4 years now (regular maintenance on the filter) and absolutely no issues...knock on wood

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake???