Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Clunk & Shudder; Shudder & Clunk...

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 08:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Clunk & Shudder; Shudder & Clunk...

Hey guys,

I've got a 2005 SCREW 4X4 (130k mi) that has a bit of a shudder problem. The tranny and rear end are both brand new in the last year and a half so I don't think it's either of them. It may be surprising to you but the problem I've been having has been around longer than the new tranny or the new rear end. The way it happens is when I'm just cruising along at a low speed (35 - 40 mph) and I try to gently accelerate, sometimes (not all the time) I'll get a shudder that will make the truck heave forward and back a little until I get up to a higher speed. Sometimes it is very mild, sometimes it is violent. When it happens, if I give it a little bump of the gas pedal to get the rpm's up a little higher and get to speed faster it will go away.

In addition to this I have a clunk that has happened at various times. Sometimes it will happen when I'm accelerating hard from a standstill and sometimes it will happen when I let off the gas a little then accelerate aggressively. If I drive mildly it very rarely happens.

I got up under the truck a few weeks ago and shook the driveshafts to check for play but couldn't budge either of them so I think I ruled the U-joints out with that?

From doing some searches, the other two things I'm looking at doing is changing my differential fluid in the front and rear and putting 8 oz of friction modifier in both. Also I'd like to remove the driveshafts and lube up the slip yoke splines (I think that's what the clunk is... could it also cause the shudder I described?).

I plan on doing this all next week, I've been very busy and on a tight budget finishing up school but I'm finally done. Is there anything else I should be taking a look at while I'm up under there?

Thanks for the help!!
Old 01-21-2012, 09:17 PM

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Have you changed the plugs? sometimes bad plugs will mimic transmission problems.....
Old 01-22-2012, 11:34 AM

I had some pinging issues about a year and a half ago and they replaced all the plugs and coil packs, then another plug a day later that was broken when they put it in. It doesn't feel the same as when I had misfire issues. But if I cant solve it with the differential and slip-yoke service I may check that out again.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:27 PM

Well my truck is in the shop right now having the u-joints replaced. I am pretty busy right now and wanted this done now, so.... Anyways I'm glad I took it in. They just dropped me off at home and are going to pick me up in a few hours. It took an hour to get one U-joint out... They said they are seized up pretty badly. I'm having them replace with joints that have grease zerks so I can keep them from seizing up again. I hope this takes care of my problem.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:13 PM

I think I'm the only one paying attention to this thread..... but regardless. It feels like a new truck now!! I can't wait to see how many more miles this truck lasts me, I'm up to 7 years and 127,000 right now.
The following users liked this post:
isvend (04-18-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Muffler

I cant find grease zerk on the muffler bearing
Old 04-18-2019, 06:40 PM
Seņor Member

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd Dandridge
I cant find grease zerk on the muffler bearing
Are you trolling?

Quick Reply: Clunk & Shudder; Shudder & Clunk...