Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Clunk downshifting from OD

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 08:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunk downshifting from OD

Hi. I just bought an '06 4WD/4.6/4R70E, and it makes a small but distinct clunk when downshifting out of OD at highway speeds. The shift back into OD is smooth. I have searched on and off for a couple of days and all I could find was it's normal, but that was for 2005's. Ford issued a TSB for those and it said: Normal, do not attempt repair. So, any idea if it is indeed normal? Thanks!
Old 04-18-2017, 05:10 PM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

I'm not much for transmission, but in some of my experiences, driveline clunks can be attributed to bad motor or trans mounts. It's not a lot to go on, but with a friend, it's easy and free to check their condition.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:32 PM
Blown Mafia

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts

How are the u joints?
Old 04-18-2017, 06:34 PM

I thought of mounts and U-joints but thought I would see if it's a known issue. It has just 100K on it, but it is 11 years old.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:31 PM
Blown Mafia

Originally Posted by dougar
I thought of mounts and U-joints but thought I would see if it's a known issue. It has just 100K on it, but it is 11 years old.
Doing no troubleshooting and posting threads will be a quick way for people to not help you.

Additionally, IF it is a common issue, searching would return results.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by scobar
Doing no troubleshooting and posting threads will be a quick way for people to not help you.

Additionally, IF it is a common issue, searching would return results.
Really, you had to go there? First of all I wouldn't do the troubleshooting because I'm disabled, but I would like to have an idea of what it COULD be before I take it in. Thanks for the warm welcome.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:56 PM
Blown Mafia

Really, you had to go there? First of all I wouldn't do the troubleshooting because I'm disabled, but I would like to have an idea of what it COULD be before I take it in. Thanks for the warm welcome.
Being disabled does not stop you from using the search OR doing some troubleshooting of u joints. Some basic troubleshooting can even be done without leaving the drivers' seat. These trucks are not new and have been around for some time.

Do not use 'disabled' as your excuse for being lazy please.
The following users liked this post:
LariatDude (04-18-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 08:11 AM

Being disabled does not stop you from using the search OR doing some troubleshooting of u joints. Some basic troubleshooting can even be done without leaving the drivers' seat. These trucks are not new and have been around for some time.

Do not use 'disabled' as your excuse for being lazy please.
Well aren't you a real piece of ****.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:18 AM
Blown Mafia

Well aren't you a real piece of ****.
No, just tired of people using titles as excuses for being lazy. On other forums there are disabled folks with no limbs, who also manage to build PCs, some even wheelchair bound who can still drive their manual transmission car, albeit, painfully. You are only limited by how you limit yourself. If you can do some troubleshooting and come back with some more data, we would certainly be happy to help you.

But, to your point, you are disabled and cannot do any troubleshooting so my advice is to take it to the shop to ensure your truck is safe and road worthy.

Last edited by scobar; 04-19-2017 at 11:21 AM.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:55 PM

No, just tired of people using titles as excuses for being lazy. On other forums there are disabled folks with no limbs, who also manage to build PCs, some even wheelchair bound who can still drive their manual transmission car, albeit, painfully. You are only limited by how you limit yourself. If you can do some troubleshooting and come back with some more data, we would certainly be happy to help you.

But, to your point, you are disabled and cannot do any troubleshooting so my advice is to take it to the shop to ensure your truck is safe and road worthy.
Excuse for being lazy??? Who the **** do you think you are?