Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Clear coat over badge inlays

Old 01-15-2010, 09:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clear coat over badge inlays

I painted my badges and they looked freaking sweet. Then, I clear coated them and all the red paint that I used as the inlay bubbled up like you wouldn't believe. Soooo, I ordered red inlays from Patriot. Question is, I have painted the badges black, again, and want to know if you can clear coat over the vinyl inlays, or should I clear coatover the black and then put the inlay in?
Old 01-15-2010, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure but it seems that the badge, being a different material than the stickers, would expand and contract due to weather at a different rate than the sticker, causing the clear coat to crack. I'd clear coat the badge then put the stickers on.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:55 AM
BLOWN club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

are the inlays you got for the outdoors? if not then id just do a coat over the badge then put the inlays on then do another coat
Old 01-15-2010, 05:21 PM

I assume they are outdoor. They are made for the badges, from Patriot Decals. Maybe I can get ahold of them and see what they say. I do not want to jack these up again. Too much damn work for a little badge.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:23 AM

Patirotdecals got back to me already. Here is what she said:

Hi Clint,
Thank you for contacting us! Thank you for your purchase!
We do not recommend painting clear coat on top of the inlays. The chemicals in the paint may damage the vinyl.
Please clear coat before you apply the inlays, and let it cure well before applying the decals. Thank you!
If you ever had a problem with the inlays in the future, even years down the road… just let me know. I can send you a replacement for free.
We like to take care of our customers! J
Old 01-17-2010, 12:37 AM
BLOWN club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

good to hear of some good customer service
Old 03-23-2010, 09:51 PM

Hey I know this thread is a couple months old, but do you have Patriot Decals e-mail address. When I go to their site the "Contact Us" button isnt working for me.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:31 PM

Well I read in another post that Ford made them stop making the stuff. So I am not sure what is going on. I hope they dont, because they were pretty sweet.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:00 PM
It's a Ford F-150!

Stupid Ford! PatriotDecals were awesome. Last time I tried to get on their website it was closed down. It makes sense if Ford made them stop. But can't Ford see there is some money to be made there? If Ford would pull their head out of their butts and make some cool custom stuff like that, that would be awesome. Example..........Why can't they make the "Ford" emblem in all different colors? Why does it have to be BLUE? I realize that's kinda the Ford trademark, but I think a lot of people would like the emblems to match the truck better. I know I would.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:55 PM

Patriot Decals site is back up now but they didn't have what I was looking for, I wanted a FX4 decal but wanted to do suttin a lil different with it so didn't know if they would be able. I got my black ford oval overlays from them and they were awesome.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clear coat over badge inlays