Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Chunk of tire missing

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 08:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Chunk of tire missing

As if I needed any extra cost...I went to put air in all my tires this morning and saw a chuck of my rear tire missing. I remember hitting something Friday morning but didn't think about it since my tire wasn't flat when I got to work. It is showing the cords below but it isn't loosing air. Is it ok to ride on until I can hopefully find a good deal? I bought these used so I'll be out of $240 for trying to buy me a years worth of driving since we just put new ones on my wife's Edge...

I've seen Kenda reviews for short term but not long term. Anyone know any good deals out there right now? Looking 285 70 17's. Very fixed budget...
Old 08-10-2013, 08:49 PM

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by rswright11
As if I needed any extra cost...I went to put air in all my tires this morning and saw a chuck of my rear tire missing. I remember hitting something Friday morning but didn't think about it since my tire wasn't flat when I got to work. It is showing the cords below but it isn't loosing air. Is it ok to ride on until I can hopefully find a good deal? I bought these used so I'll be out of $240 for trying to buy me a years worth of driving since we just put new ones on my wife's Edge...

I've seen Kenda reviews for short term but not long term. Anyone know any good deals out there right now? Looking 285 70 17's. Very fixed budget...
Never cheap out on tires. In most countries you'd be facing reckless driving charges for running torn or defected tires. And no driving around with torn tires is not a good idea and you risk a blow out and a possible crash.

Stick on a spare and go buy some cheap NEW tires, preferably Light Truck rated.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:59 PM

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

Is it ok to ride on until I can hopefully find a good deal?
In a word - NO! Once cords are showing then you throw away the tire. You're better off running a doughnut or parking the truck because you will suffer a blowout and loss of control.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:12 PM

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Wow dude...the phaser noise and now this. You have got to be feeling about like me right now. I don't think I have ever had a vehicle snowball on me quite like this blasted F150. From what I can find that 285/70-17 is almost exclusively an LT tire. Looks like a few make P-rated tires in that size, but they really aren't that much cheaper than the LTs. Since you probably gotta bite the bullet, I would look at the Cooper Discoverer A/T3's (probably a minimum of $1100 installed). They are a little more than the BFG T/A KO's ... but well worth the extra $10 per tire, IMHO. It looks like the Toyo Open Country H/T's might be the cheapest thing...but you gotta still be looking at $1000 for those.

Hope you can find something that fits your budget.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:34 PM

I can get 4 Bridgestone Revo 2 285's installed for right at $800. Not exactly what I want but it may be the "cheapest" quality tire I can find.... DANG IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-10-2013, 11:20 PM

I can get 4 Bridgestone Revo 2 285's installed for right at $800. Not exactly what I want but it may be the "cheapest" quality tire I can find.... DANG IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
From what I've seen available in the 285/70-17s ... I'd say that is a smokin' deal. Especially if they are LTs.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:00 PM

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by GrimaceTimus
Wow dude...the phaser noise and now this. You have got to be feeling about like me right now. I don't think I have ever had a vehicle snowball on me quite like this blasted F150.
I know the feeling brother, I had the same thing when I got myself an Audi. Fantastic car, but boy did s**t start to snowball when it hit 200,000km.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Tradesman
I know the feeling brother, I had the same thing when I got myself an Audi. Fantastic car, but boy did s**t start to snowball when it hit 200,000km.
Funny you say that. I had a 1986 Audi 5000 that I bought in 1992 with 70,000 miles on it. Things started to break at 100,000 miles and they just wouldn't stop. And parts for that Audi were INSANELY expensive.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:22 PM

Volvo aint cheap either... My wife had an S60. Something hit the headlight and broke a whole in it....$700 for a new assembly!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-11-2013, 09:18 PM
Built FORD Tough!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

You can usually find a set of tires on Craigslist for a couple hundred bucks. I just sold my stock wheels and tires with about 1/2 tread for $300

Quick Reply: Chunk of tire missing