Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Cherry bomb extreme

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cherry bomb extreme

Hello everyone, new to the forum here. And also new to the Ford community. As the title States I have a cherry bomb extreme on my F150 I put it on my self and the resonator is no longer on the truck. It still has all 4 cats though. My question is this, can I get away with just the first two cats on the system? Also I have a turn down on my muffler it just doesn't seem loud enough to me. It has a deep rumble but I want that loud loud exhuast note. I'm guessing the turn down and the cats have a little to do with it, being dulled down? I've heard other f150s on YouTube with the 5.4 and the cherry bomb and they sound nice. The cab drone is terrible as well. Not bad if I open the sunroof lol. But not possible in the 7 months of winter i face every year. Also I live in upstate New York so I have to pass inspection.

Last edited by Th3m4dh4tt3r; 05-15-2017 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-15-2017, 04:02 PM
Renaissance Honky

Received 154 Likes on 134 Posts

Will you pass NY inspection without your rear cats? You need to know the answer to that question, and I'm sure the State of NY has it somewhere on their website.

Dumping your exhaust under the truck and putting on a noisy muffler is about the best way to make it drone in the cab. Putting on some kind of tail pipe and getting the noisy end of it out past the sheet metal can knock the noise down quite a bit.
The following users liked this post:
Th3m4dh4tt3r (05-16-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 12:44 AM
Gold Member

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Th3m4dh4tt3r
Hello everyone, new to the forum here. And also new to the Ford community. As the title States I have a cherry bomb extreme on my F150 I put it on my self and the resonator is no longer on the truck. It still has all 4 cats though. My question is this, can I get away with just the first two cats on the system? Also I have a turn down on my muffler it just doesn't seem loud enough to me. It has a deep rumble but I want that loud loud exhuast note. I'm guessing the turn down and the cats have a little to do with it, being dulled down? I've heard other f150s on YouTube with the 5.4 and the cherry bomb and they sound nice. The cab drone is terrible as well. Not bad if I open the sunroof lol. But not possible in the 7 months of winter i face every year. Also I live in upstate New York so I have to pass inspection.
If you can't even stand the noise inside the cab, then I bet your neighbors love you.
The following users liked this post:
Th3m4dh4tt3r (05-16-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 01:36 AM

Received 434 Likes on 289 Posts

You simply won't pass NY State inspection if you alter the cat system.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric Kleven
Will you pass NY inspection without your rear cats? You need to know the answer to that question, and I'm sure the State of NY has it somewhere on their website.

Dumping your exhaust under the truck and putting on a noisy muffler is about the best way to make it drone in the cab. Putting on some kind of tail pipe and getting the noisy end of it out past the sheet metal can knock the noise down quite a bit.
I was thinking about replacing them with a couple high flows
Old 05-17-2017, 11:01 PM
Renaissance Honky

Originally Posted by Th3m4dh4tt3r
I was thinking about replacing them with a couple high flows
Some places, even that is forbidden. How much would it suck to do the work and then run into a hard-*** inspector and have to tear it all back out and replace with OEM?

That's just conjecture, I don't know what the regs are in your state, but I bet they suck.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:37 AM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

Please grow up and become a responsible adult. Nobody but you wants to hear that God-awful racket.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:50 AM
Renaissance Honky

Originally Posted by PerryB
Please grow up and become a responsible adult. Nobody but you wants to hear that God-awful racket.
Dude, even though I agree with you in part, 'cuz nobody wants to hear a 330cid chainsaw fire up every morning next door, there's one big thing here:

It's Not Your Truck.

If he wants it loud, we can't stop him from doing it.
Hopefully we can save him the expense and annoyance of having to do it all over again 'cuz the NY Nanny State said he did it wrong 'cuz he didn't RTFM first.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:08 AM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

It's got nothing to do with nanny state laws. Its all about being a decent citizen. He doesn't have the right to disturb my peace or wake my family with his rattle-trap truck. I hope he gets all kinds of expensive and inconvenient citations.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:53 AM
Renaissance Honky

Not.
Your.
Truck.