Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Changing glass in side mirrors?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 02:31 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Changing glass in side mirrors?

Folks,

I have busted the glass mirror on my passenger side stock mirror. Otherwise, the turn signals and heat work fine (the mirror is cracked but still in).

Is there any way to replace *just* the glass mirror and not the whole mirror assembly?

Thanks for looking.

B
Old 02-16-2019, 02:57 PM

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Yup! Just did both of mine because the built in heating element broke. Tilt the glass all the way forward manually. It'll pop a lot but tip it in fully up top. A big gap will show on the bottom and if you flash a light there or look hard enough, there is a slot about the width of a flat blade screw driver. Get a nice long flat blade, fit it into the slot, push up into it a bit and twist the screw driver so it separates the glass mounting tabs from the mirror motor mount. There is another slot on the bottom, closer to the door. Do the same here. Once the glass is separated enough from the mount, work the flat blade between mounting tabs until the glass pops free from the motor mount.

When installing the new glass, line up the tabs on the back of the new glass with the motor mount on the mirror assembly and with the palm of your hand, firmly push evenly on the glass while using your other hand to brace the back of the mirror assembly so that doesn't move either. You can apply a good amount of force on the glass and it won't break. If the mirror shakes and blurs the vision when driving, you didn't pop all of the tabs on properly. Try pushing harder.
The following users liked this post:
Prof (02-16-2019)
Old 02-16-2019, 05:18 PM

Brilliant! Thanks!
Old 02-16-2019, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Prof
Brilliant! Thanks!
I’ll link a YouTube vid if you have trouble with it. You’re welcome
Old 02-16-2019, 11:47 PM

Yes, please...if it’s not too much trouble, a YouTube link would be outstanding. Where did you get new glass from? I have not been able to find just the mirror glass, only the whole damn assembly?

Thanks again!
Old 02-17-2019, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Prof
Yes, please...if it’s not too much trouble, a YouTube link would be outstanding. Where did you get new glass from? I have not been able to find just the mirror glass, only the whole damn assembly?

Thanks again!
No trouble at all, my friend!
This guy is going in from the top instead of bottom, but there’s tabs up top AND bottom. Whichever is easier. Also unlike he did, you do not need to remove the back of the mirror. The glass just pops off like he shows.

and then here is the right hand side OEM glass with the built in heater:

https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/gl...tionId:4317480
Old 02-18-2019, 09:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The following link is for the drivers side but I had good luck wth the Fit System product if you want another option than OEM

Fit System 33194 Driver Side Heated Replacement Mirror Glass with Backing Plate https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009IFIEQK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_hcSACbZXHR1A2

Quick Reply: Changing glass in side mirrors?