Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

CB Radio on an F150

Old 04-05-2017, 03:27 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default CB Radio on an F150

I am looking for anyone who has installed a CB radio in their F150. I just installed one in mine and am getting a LOT of static, no matter what channel I am on.

I have a Uniden Pro520XL (I know it isn't a great radio or anything, but I was given it for free, so I am not complaining!). A 5' Firestik 2 on a Firestik spring, straight into a Firestik mount. I have double checked the mount ground, everything is good there. The antenna SWR is pretty good, 1.5 on 1 and 1 on 40.

Here is my problem, no matter what channel I am on, I get nothing but static. I have talked it over with the folks at RadioReference forum and they are telling me that it is probably a RFI signal being generated by the truck, even when it is off and the key is out.

What could be causing this? I have the wire running that powers the radio through the firewall, right by the steering column. It then runs across, above the engine directly to the battery. I tried something I saw about wrapping a wire that is grounded on both ends, around the power wire, in an attempt to prevent electrical interference. It doesn't appear to have made a difference.

If anyone can shed some light on what could cause an RIF signal, I would love to know. Thanks!!
Old 04-05-2017, 03:52 PM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

Did you test it before you installed it or see it operate in another vehicle? If not could that be why its free?
Old 04-05-2017, 03:56 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by StephenG
Did you test it before you installed it or see it operate in another vehicle? If not could that be why its free?
Oh, the guy ordered it and then his wife said no to putting it in their vehicle so he decided to give it to me. It was brand new. I know him pretty well so I know he wasn't lying about it being brand new. I have not been able to test it on a different vehicle. The RadioReference forum recommended that I connect it up to a completely separate battery, with the truck's battery completely disconnected. This would show if it is the truck for sure, or if it is just a defective radio. I am going to try to test this as soon as this dang rain stops!!
Old 04-05-2017, 04:01 PM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

That sounds like a good test.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

Received 338 Likes on 254 Posts

Do you have a power isolator for it? Did you hook the negative directly to the battery or to a ground point on the vehicle? What coax are you using? Did you install an RF choke/make one? Are you running LEDs anywhere on your vehicle? If so did you put ferrite rings on the power lines for them?

If you have any kind of +12v power supply that matches it in amps, you should give it a shot. This is the best test at taking everything vehicle-wise out of the equation. But if it fails, you should be looking at your coax/wiring next.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:31 AM
Some guy

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,280 Posts

Licensed ham radio op here. If you have the option, put a different radio (friend's?) on it and see if it works. If it does, you know the feed line / antenna / truck are not the problem. Do you have an antenna tester?
Old 04-06-2017, 08:35 AM
Some guy

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,280 Posts

You can also disconnect the truck from the battery and connect the battery to the radio directly to give the radio a direct source and be sure the truck is not powered. That will rule out (or in) the possibility of the truck causing the static.

Search this Thread