Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Can you have clogged cats without a check engine light?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 03:15 PM
Built FORD Tough!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Can you have clogged cats without a check engine light?

Is it possible to have clogged catalytic convertors without throwing a check engine light? My truck struggles above 3000 rpm, and while it isn't horrible it definately isn't normal. Before doing my plug change I had a few bad misfires and I think that may have ruined my cats. My truck hasn't throw a code since replacing my plugs in July, just has horrible wot acceleration above 3000 rpm and is sluggish. What do you think, any help is appreciated.

-I have cleaned the throttle body and maf sensor, new fpdm, new fuel filter, new foam around air filter, champion plugs at 74k, 76k miles. now, no cel...

I'm looking to go with the Walker replacement cats with pipe and a mbrp exhaust if they are clogged...

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Fx4-Michael; 01-20-2013 at 03:18 PM. Reason: more info
Old 01-20-2013, 05:03 PM
Built FORD Tough!

If you replaced your cats on your f150 did you gas mileage improve?
Old 01-20-2013, 05:10 PM
Jerry

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Are the walker cats cheaper than magnaflow? Just wondering why you would want that brand over magnaflow which it seems everyone highly recommends.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:35 PM
Built FORD Tough!

The Magnaflows are universal which means I would have to take it to a exhaust shop and have them weld in the new cats and relocate the o2 sensors, while the walkers are a direct replacement with piping from the manifold back and original o2 sensor locations... The walker system is $550 to my door and I can do all the work, I haven't priced out the Magnaflows and having a shop weld them in because I like to do my own work, except window tint and I had the pesky plugs done by a local mechanic lol
Old 01-20-2013, 05:54 PM
Jcf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to replace my drive side cat this week. It's toast but my check engine light is on and it comes up as catalytic efficiently. So my mechanic said its fried. I'm taking it to a local muffler shop to get them to cut it out and replace it with an oem quality one.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:54 PM
Built FORD Tough!

Question

Originally Posted by Jcf
I have to replace my drive side cat this week. It's toast but my check engine light is on and it comes up as catalytic efficiently. So my mechanic said its fried. I'm taking it to a local muffler shop to get them to cut it out and replace it with an oem quality one.
Besides the code so you have any symptoms that's is bad like sluggish acceleration? Let me know how the new cat is if there is any improvement... Thanks
Old 01-20-2013, 07:11 PM
Jcf

Originally Posted by Fx4-Michael

Besides the code so you have any symptoms that's is bad like sluggish acceleration? Let me know how the new cat is if there is any improvement... Thanks
In the begging when the check engine light came on at higher RPMS it felt bog down. I knew that the one was clogged up but now I don't feel it as much so I'm guess its totally destroyed. I was also told that my truck had 4 cats 2 main ones and 2 smaller ones so I decide to go underneath my truck to figure out if I could tell which one was fried cause when u check the code it only tells you which side passenger side (bank 1) or driver side (bank 2). So when I went underneath I found out that I only have 2 main ones one on each side. When I hit the drive side cat you can here that its broken inside and when I hit the passenger side one it was sold.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:15 PM
Built FORD Tough!

I'll try hitting them with a rubber mallet and see what I hear. Thanks for the reply
Old 01-20-2013, 07:36 PM
Jcf

Originally Posted by Fx4-Michael
I'll try hitting them with a rubber mallet and see what I hear. Thanks for the reply
No problem glad to help I could here i Huge difference when I hit them.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:44 PM

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

If I had to bet money your fronts are probably going to be the ones that are clogged since they get all the raw fuel and oil etc first

Quick Reply: Can you have clogged cats without a check engine light?