Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Can I Transplant My TV Speakers and Subs Into My Truck?

Old 04-12-2012, 07:08 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Can I Transplant My TV Speakers and Subs Into My Truck?

I know a lot of people might think this is crazy, but my tv hits really hard and it shakes my apartment and I often get noise complaints from my neighbors. But the screen is going out and since i got it for free I was thinking about transplanting it into a custom made sub/speaker box into my F150 behind my front seats. Its a sony rear projection tv with a "Energy Star TruSurround" sound system underneath.

is this even possible? and if so, how achievable is it? i can make the box and install them, but i would get it professionally wired
Old 04-12-2012, 07:18 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Should be just the same as installing any other speakers; you just gotta get the amps. (but if you are getting it professionally wired they will probably tell you what to get)
Old 04-12-2012, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by PRESofUNIVERSE
Should be just the same as installing any other speakers; you just gotta get the amps. (but if you are getting it professionally wired they will probably tell you what to get)
But since the bass is so heavy in my tv, doesn't it already have amps in it that I can use?
Old 04-12-2012, 07:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You would need 12 volt "car" amps, probably custom built crossovers, and make sure you get some half decent amps as your tv speakers are going to be 8-16 ohm unit's.

If you want insane bass you can can get it fairly cheap. Clean bass costs money.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Flyingbrick
You would need 12 volt "car" amps, probably custom built crossovers, and then some half decent amps, as your tv speakers are going to be 8-16 ohm unit's. If you want insane bass you can can get it fairly cheap. Clean bass costs money.
So crossovers would convert the amps in my truck to be compatible with the speakers and subs on the tv? I'm just trying to get more bass because the factory setup is lacking. This is all just an idea to maybe get better bass without spending a ton of money
Old 04-13-2012, 01:34 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you want just better bass one thing you might do is just look around on Amazon, eBay, Craigslist etc. to get a decent sub used for next to nothing, build the box then spend a little money on an amp and wiring. I spent <$100 and have a single sub and 1200 Watt amp which adds a pretty nice, clean sound though it won't go to crazy volumes (which I don't really want anyway).
Old 04-13-2012, 02:10 AM
Fordless

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

As said, your tv speakers are going to be 8-16 ohm speakers. Will they work? Sure. Will they last very long? No. Will they sound right? Probably not. It's not just the speakers that make your tv sound so good, it's the whole series of components combined that give you good sound. Quality signal coming into the amp (which would be your receiver or head unit), quality amp providing the power, quality wiring giving you less resistance (which gives you clarity, etc.), and finally, quality speakers. Though quality and intended purpose can vary from one speaker to another, they are all the same in the sense that they have one job...to translate electrical signals into audible noise. However, a large subwoofer isn't smart enough to know that it's designed to produce bass and a small tweeter isn't smart enough to know that it's only intended to produce treble. They are going to play whatever signal is coming to them. Therefore, we have to filter out the bass from tweeters and filter out the treble from subwoofers. We filter those signals out by using something called a "cross-over."

Anyway, long story short, yes you could use them in your truck but they aren't going to sound as good as they do in your tv unless you spend a bunch of money to make them sound right. If you are just looking for a lot of noise, then go ahead but you will still need an amp and cross-over. The amp and cross-over built into the tv will not work in the vehicle. If you're looking for quality sound, explore other options.

Last edited by Foulplay; 04-13-2012 at 02:14 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:58 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I actually did this a long time ago with my subs from one of my stereos in one of my older cars. I just wired it into the 6x9s... it didn't hit hard at all, but you could hear em.

You can buy a decent sub for about $100.
Heck, I just sold 2 12" Kicker CVR with a Sony 1000w amp for $150... in box

I am sure you can find a similar deal on craigslist
Old 04-13-2012, 12:05 PM
Ya its Dipped, Hate Away

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 2004 Ford F150

So crossovers would convert the amps in my truck to be compatible with the speakers and subs on the tv? I'm just trying to get more bass because the factory setup is lacking. This is all just an idea to maybe get better bass without spending a ton of money
Ur in tuscon right? I have a JL 10" SUB, no box ill sell ya for $30, I think I still have an 800w mono amp to. If I do ill sell ya both for $80 and ill install if ya come over this way.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Bshipe22

Ur in tuscon right? I have a JL 10" SUB, no box ill sell ya for $30, I think I still have an 800w mono amp to. If I do ill sell ya both for $80 and ill install if ya come over this way.
Yea I'm in Tucson, but my family lives in Phoenix so I go back once a month. Why are you selling the amp and sub? And do they both work? And what brand is the amp? I could definitely come back down to Phoenix in a couple weeks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can I Transplant My TV Speakers and Subs Into My Truck?