Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Can I Install a power folding side mirror to one F-150 2004?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I Install a power folding side mirror to one F-150 2004?

I want to replace the manual folding side mirrors of my '04 F-150 Lariat for the power folding side mirrors of one '08 F-150 Lariat. I need to know if that is possible and How can I do it?
Old 01-22-2009, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Bubu
I want to replace the manual folding side mirrors of my '04 F-150 Lariat for the power folding side mirrors of one '08 F-150 Lariat. I need to know if that is possible and How can I do it?
Yes, it is supposed to be possible. My mirrors arrive tomorrow and am hoping to go at it sometime in the next week or so.

Here's one way...but it uses an extra switch instead of the oem one.
http://home.comcast.net/~myers.brad/...naFordF150.pdf
Old 02-07-2009, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Bubu
I have seen and read lots of threads about this mod and a few that said they were successful with the oem switch and power fold module, but no information on how. I've spent the past two days tackling this job with a pair of 07 power folding mirrors with signals and puddle lamps and have finally figured out the wiring with the oem switch and the factory power fold module 5L3T-17L684-AA. If anyone is interested in this mod, it's actually fairly simple once the pinouts are found. My FX4 mirror harnesses were missing 4 wires required for this job. Pins 16 and 7 for the power fold, pin 8 for the puddle lamps and a ground wire on pin 11 for the signals. Also required is a wire to pin 4 on the mirror switch harness. I ran all 5 wires through the doors (4 for the passenger) and spliced in the puddle lamps to the black/violet wire at the driver's side kick panel right above the hood latch. There are 3 black/violet wires in the bundle, you need a test lamp to find the correct one that's lit when the interior lights are on. I used the light dimmer to turn the lights on and off while testing. I found a nice ground wire to splice into at the same location for the Pin 11 wire. Next was figuring out the pins on the power fold module. It looks nothing like any diagram that I found on the web. My brother and I spent 3 hours with 3 test lights to figure out what was what. The pinout assignments (that worked for us) according to the numbers on the module itself are as follows;
Pin 1 to Pin 7 on the mirror harnesses
Pin 3 to Pin 16 on the mirror harnesses
I think Pins 1 & 3 these can be wired either way
Pin 2 to Pin 4 on the mirror switch
Pin 4 to constant power somewhere
Pin 5 to ground somewhere
That's it! Pull the mirror switch back and they fold in, pull it again and the fold out. Power folding mirrors with signals and fading puddlelamps!
(I'm still working on the heated mirror part. Have to change my HVAC)
Old 02-07-2009, 10:38 PM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Default mirror

Sounds good. I need to see if my 07 expedition mirrors are the same, I'm using them on my 08 FX4
Old 03-08-2010, 10:58 AM
Bleed FORD Blue

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

It is possible I just did it yesterday on my 04 Super-Crew and I used http://home.comcast.net/~myers.brad/...naFordF150.pdf as my guide. It was so easy, I bought the switch that it suggest came out under $5 for the switch. I got the mirrors off of a King Ranch, the turn signals, courtesy light, and power fold function all work! If you have any questions pm me and I can help you out. I will post a vid of the mirrors in action.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:29 AM

This is an interesting post. Only thing that bothers me a bit is not using the factory switch. Has anyone looked at the existing switch or a power mirror switch from a 2007 and newer. It looks like all you are doing is sending power to the new mirrors via a switch. So I am wondering if there is already 12v in the mirror switch, install a new '07 or newer and just send the 12v power to the mirror. This would save tapping into the power block, etc. The only wire you would have to run is from the switch to the mirrors. I am sure that I am making this way too simple.

Other idea is that if this does not work, why not order a power window switch and mount that in the dash next to the headlight switch. They are the same type of switch. You could even use a bezel from the power pedal switch. In fact, you could even use the power pedal socket in the dash if you dont have power pedals?

I am just in the research phase of this project so forgive me if i am missing something major...
Old 05-13-2010, 08:03 AM

Received 30 Likes on 5 Posts

I am currious if the same set up could be used to add the power telescoping mirrors to a 2004. I would assume the switches would be similar?

Sound plausible that the OEM power fold switch could be used to control the telescoping?
Old 04-10-2011, 03:38 PM

Hi Guys* I`m new here and can`t add anything to this thread. But have a question related to mirrors. I`ve recently purchased an`05 Lariat crew and the R/S mirror cover is broken. Anyone know where I could purchase a good used one? Power heated with signal.
TIA

Don
Old 04-10-2011, 06:35 PM
04 F150 FX4

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Freestyle
Hi Guys* I`m new here and can`t add anything to this thread. But have a question related to mirrors. I`ve recently purchased an`05 Lariat crew and the R/S mirror cover is broken. Anyone know where I could purchase a good used one? Power heated with signal.
TIA

Don
Check the Vendors section on the forum and look for Tasca_Josh he gets all OEM parts and sells them for 10% over cost
Old 04-11-2011, 11:14 AM

Thanks for the replies. I was able to purchase a new OEM mirror from Jose here:
lightenparts@yahoo.com

Great price/Service!

No Affilation,just sharing info!

Don

Quick Reply: Can I Install a power folding side mirror to one F-150 2004?