Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Can anyone advise on pwsteering issue?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Can anyone advise on pwsteering issue?

I have an 06 F150 5.4L V8 4X4. I've been having issues with my power steering for some time now and just found the source of my problem. The quarter inch pressure line running from my pw steering reservoir has a hole near the connection of the rubber hose to the steel one. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to just cut the damaged part of the hose and use a clamp to reattach?? As well, how likely is it that my power steering pump will need to be replaced considering ive benn running the leak for about 3 months now? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:04 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

As long as you've been topping off the power steering container, you should not be doing any damage to the pump. I'll assume it has not been making any unusual noises (pump)...

As to re-clamping the hose, do you have the tool, or access to one? Is the hose long enough to cut and re-clamp without any binding issues? This type of crimp is not something that can be done with plyers or the like; the power steering pump creates quite a bit of pressure, so without the special tool, you'd just have the metal crimp leaking worse than the cut you have now. I've never seen a "barbed" type end connector that someone can slide into the hose and clamp it. This would work if such a end with the correct end threads were available, but I've never seen one, nor heard of it.

If it were me, I'd just buy the replacement hose and be done with it. Can't be that expensive.

Besides, your putting some slippery oil onto the streets; may not be alot, but enough to perhaps cause a motorcyclist to slip on.

Get it replaced soon.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 12-01-2009 at 06:09 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Bucko
As to re-clamping the hose, do you have the tool, or access to one? Is the hose long enough to cut and re-clamp without any binding issues? This type of crimp is not something that can be done with plyers or the like; the power steering pump creates quite a bit of pressure, so without the special tool, you'd just have the metal crimp leaking worse than the cut you have now.
What kind of tool do i need? do you happen to know the name of it? is there not a clamp rated high enough to withstand the pressure of the pump? I dont know a whole lot but i was hoping i could avoid spending the 110 considering i really cant afford it right now. thanks for your input on the matter.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:41 PM

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by TuBees
What kind of tool do i need? do you happen to know the name of it? is there not a clamp rated high enough to withstand the pressure of the pump? I dont know a whole lot but i was hoping i could avoid spending the 110 considering i really cant afford it right now. thanks for your input on the matter.
The best thing you could hope for is a hydraulics shop or hardware place that does hydraulic lines. The pressure will be way to high for a standard ring clamp if that's what you're thinking.

Ian
Old 12-01-2009, 07:59 PM

Thumbs down How much trouble am I in??

I recently posted a topic about a leak in my power steering system and it just occured to me: How many other things are FED because of it?

This is the problem; the leak was close to a fan and blew the fluid almost everywhere. As I had mentioned in the previous topic, this fluid has been blowing everywhere for 2-3 months. What else under the hood could have been affected?
Old 12-01-2009, 08:01 PM

Thanks for all the input guys.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:19 PM

I'd just pressure wash the engine compartment after fixing the leak. I wouldn't think that there would be much of a problem after that. Maybe the hood insulation is oil soaked but that would be it.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:20 PM

thanks boss
Old 12-01-2009, 10:47 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Originally Posted by TuBees
I recently posted a topic about a leak in my power steering system and it just occured to me: How many other things are FED because of it?

This is the problem; the leak was close to a fan and blew the fluid almost everywhere. As I had mentioned in the previous topic, this fluid has been blowing everywhere for 2-3 months. What else under the hood could have been affected?
You left this unrepaired for 2-3 months, and you are now asking about possible other items that could be messed up?

You win the lazy and cheap award.

As to how much trouble your in, just a messy engine compartment I'd guess.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 12-01-2009 at 10:53 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:49 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

If it could have been done with a simple clamp, they (auto builders) would have done it long ago to save a buck....

Quick Reply: Can anyone advise on pwsteering issue?