Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Cam Position Sensors changed but CEL still comes up

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 06:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cam Position Sensors changed but CEL still comes up

I have a 2006 XL 5.4 triton engine. The CEL came up for both sensors. I changed both of them, reset the CEL but after a few minutes of driving they come up again.
I just got the truck from a family member so I don't know too much about it but I know it has some engine work done to it before, I'm pretty sure most of it was rebuilt. Anyways, I think it runs fine. Don't have any obvious misfires, doesn't stall on me, starts right up without any issues. Don't really feel any power loss, but again, I just got it so I don't know if its supposed to pull any harder than it does.
Ive heard it could be a timing issue or an electrical issue with the sensor harness but not sure. Any help Is really appreciated!!
Old 11-20-2017, 12:41 AM

Bump.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:37 AM

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

If it's showing for the cam sensors (w/o knowing your specific DTC), it sounds like your VCT Solenoids may be bad.

Any new noises?

If the sensor is detecting a threshold that trips a CEL, replacing the sensor is not the fix. It is telling you the sensor is out of threshold value and DTC is set.

Are you getting a "camshaft position sensor over retard" type code?
Old 11-20-2017, 11:46 AM

I don’t have the actual code number. I can get it later. But from what I remember it was just displaying the cam sensors, I don’t recall seeing over retard. I just got the car and since I got it, this has been on. IMO it drives pretty well. No noticeable noises. You think I should go ahead and change that vct seleniod then?
Old 11-22-2017, 04:06 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 627 Likes on 564 Posts

Default The cam sensors are telling you the hydraulic cam system not working

Shooting the messenger is not the right course . Changing both vcts for the newer model is always a good thing .
But a worn out system part or oil pressure problem is going to show backup. You must understand the system ,it uses dirty engine oil to hydraulically move cams . Pcm commands vcts to move the oil to change cam positions . Oil goes to cam phasers to release them and move them . Phasors work very hard and can fail .
The timing chains are kept tight by plastic chain tensioners driven by oil pressure , they tend to blow out their seals and cause low oil pressure . This can cause chains to whip breaking plastic chain guides putting plastic pieces in oil pickup which further lowers oil pressure .Plus the long chains do stretch and can cause this same problem .
Clean good oil is a must --no extended interval oil changes . There are fixes for all of this but with mileage it usually means a full timing job , no one thing at this point is going to fix it . Oil flow problems cause failures of rollers and lash's so its best to change them too. Hopefully before cam damage .
If you have the will you can do all this yourself ,there is plenty of help on here .
Old 11-22-2017, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by redfishtd
Shooting the messenger is not the right course . Changing both vcts for the newer model is always a good thing .
But a worn out system part or oil pressure problem is going to show backup. You must understand the system ,it uses dirty engine oil to hydraulically move cams . Pcm commands vcts to move the oil to change cam positions . Oil goes to cam phasers to release them and move them . Phasors work very hard and can fail .
The timing chains are kept tight by plastic chain tensioners driven by oil pressure , they tend to blow out their seals and cause low oil pressure . This can cause chains to whip breaking plastic chain guides putting plastic pieces in oil pickup which further lowers oil pressure .Plus the long chains do stretch and can cause this same problem .
Clean good oil is a must --no extended interval oil changes . There are fixes for all of this but with mileage it usually means a full timing job , no one thing at this point is going to fix it . Oil flow problems cause failures of rollers and lash's so its best to change them too. Hopefully before cam damage .
If you have the will you can do all this yourself ,there is plenty of help on here .
I already ordered new vct solenoids. hopefully that does the trick. I know the truck already had some engine work done before. Just not sure if its had all the timing stuff done like I've seen a lot of these 5.4 notorious for. This was meant to be kind of a temporary means of transportation for me for a few months, really did not want to spend 5 or 6 hundred dollars to fix this, or even more because I probably won't do this myself. Ill keep this thread updated when I install my solenoids. thanks for the input
Old 11-23-2017, 12:44 AM

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Did you order Motor Craft Solenoids?

If not, send them back and do so.

I JUST went through this. Bad solenoid out the box from NAPA, 2 days later, all kinds of issues I wont even get into. Read the posts on here, research, there is overwhelming info to convince that you should use MC Parts for all timing components.

If you don't have any unusual sounds/ticks/knocks. The engine sound does not change when cold start-operating temp. Then, you might be ok as far as the timing system goes for now.

It is possible that a VCT solenoid simply failed which was my case and reason for replacing. It was on bank 1. I swapped it to bank 2, DTC followed, therefore verifying it was the solenoid itself that was bad and not the timing / phaser system failing.

Make sure to stay up on any codes and keep us posted.

Everything redfish said is accurate to the best of my knowledge. Especially the oil changes and quality. Full synthetic 5W-30 and no extended intervals.
Old 11-23-2017, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Jamieat
Did you order Motor Craft Solenoids?

If not, send them back and do so.

I JUST went through this. Bad solenoid out the box from NAPA, 2 days later, all kinds of issues I wont even get into. Read the posts on here, research, there is overwhelming info to convince that you should use MC Parts for all timing components.

If you don't have any unusual sounds/ticks/knocks. The engine sound does not change when cold start-operating temp. Then, you might be ok as far as the timing system goes for now.

It is possible that a VCT solenoid simply failed which was my case and reason for replacing. It was on bank 1. I swapped it to bank 2, DTC followed, therefore verifying it was the solenoid itself that was bad and not the timing / phaser system failing.

Make sure to stay up on any codes and keep us posted.

Everything redfish said is accurate to the best of my knowledge. Especially the oil changes and quality. Full synthetic 5W-30 and no extended intervals.
I ordered the solenoids off amazon, i picked one that had good rating, but no, the brand doesn't seem to be motorcraft. The brand is "Wisamic". I will look for motorcraft vct's. The codes I have are P0345 and P0349. When I looked them up here, they both look like they are from the same bank. Any way to confirm or deny this? The car doesn't have any weird noises or anything, drives fine, but always keep it under 2k rpms. you think it'll be ok to drive like that for a week or so until I order and change them?

also, I changed the intake filter, (now I checked back and it was motorcraft), and the truck now has a P0420 code. You think it was the filter or anything you can tell me on this?
Old 11-24-2017, 12:38 AM

so I've been searching and it seems like a bad alternator can cause these codes? or a bad wire somewhere? again the car runs fine, just has these codes. anyone have any experience with this being something electrical?
also, just noticed that in some occasions my ac kind of surges. I have it on high or medium and it will go to very low and then back up, and do that a few times. Can all of this be related?
Old 11-25-2017, 06:56 PM

bump. anyone?