Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Cam Phasers or lifter/followers?

Old 01-07-2016, 10:25 PM

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Cam Phasers or lifter/followers?

I have had the "cam phaser tick" since I bought my 2005 F150 5.4L a couple months ago. I knew what it was getting into it and it is nothing I cant replace. I would like to try and narrow down what it could be instead of throwing money at it. I did replaced VCT solenoids today since there was a TSB released and it was only $100. It made a big difference. Still hear some ticking so not sure if cam phasers or lifters and followers now. It sounds like its from both sides so I am thinking cam phasers. In the cab on the highway I do hear what sounds like an exhaust manifold leak on the pass side but I dont think it is that since I had a shop check it out. I have read that this is one of the sines of cam phasers. Going to bump up to 5w30 to see if that makes any difference. I do feel like the VCT solenoids woke the truck up a little bit though.
Now for my question, what should I be listening for or checking to tell whether it is cam phasers or followers and lifters?
Old 01-08-2016, 01:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just made a post on this same item. It will be the cam phasers. However, there are three things that will make them tick. 1. timing chain or chain adjusters. 2 oil too thick, and 3. cam phasers worn out.
You can do the cam phasers yourself. I found my phasers at about half price at the dealer than at part stores. They are located on the front top of each valve cover, also replace the sensors on the front of each head, just unbolt and replace with new. Replace the rubber plugs as well to hid the cam phasers. There will be no adjusting to the cam phasers due to they go in one way, only. You will need a long torks screw driver. Pull the connector off the phaser, pop out the rubber plug around the cam phaser and with a light slide the torks down to the torks screw and remove the screw as you pull up on the torks screw just in case the screw tryes to come unscrewed from the hole that it sits in. Remove the cam phaser and replace it with the new one, no adjusting necessary, just screw it back in place of the old one. It can go in only one way. On the drivers side, you will have to remove the power steering bracket to get a good straight shot at the torks screw. Replace your oil filer and oil with a good brand of synthetic oil 5-20 only and put Z-Max oil treatment in as well. Any thicker oil and the fine screen in the cam phasers will not pass the oil properly and make the ticking noise. The oil additive Z-Max is great stuff and will help quiet the cam phasers. If it still ticks loud after that it could be your chain and adjusters, but I believe that it will make a big difference. Very simple job.
Old 01-08-2016, 03:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

a56nomad, the "phasers" that you are referring to are actually the vct solenoids, which he has changed already; as well, there is a whole lot of us running oil other than 5w-20. Please be careful when giving out information.

Brad, that issue has phasers written all over it and there are dozens of threads dedicated to it.
Old 01-08-2016, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by jeremyyc
a56nomad, the "phasers" that you are referring to are actually the vct solenoids, which he has changed already; as well, there is a whole lot of us running oil other than 5w-20. Please be careful when giving out information.

Brad, that issue has phasers written all over it and there are dozens of threads dedicated to it.
I have read and started to come to that conclusion as well but still unsure as to why I have started this thread. I would like to only replace the cam phasers but worry it could be bad chain tensioners and guides adding to the problem.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:40 AM
Some guy

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,279 Posts

Replace ALL of it.
Old 01-08-2016, 11:12 AM

Im having a really loud tick and loss of power. Diagnosis: collapsed lifter and bad cam phasers. Im replacing all lifters, cam phasers and full timing components with lockouts. Not cheap but necessary. Have your truck diagnosed and see if the ticking is either lifters or cam phasers
Old 01-08-2016, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Christiancito
Im having a really loud tick and loss of power. Diagnosis: collapsed lifter and bad cam phasers. Im replacing all lifters, cam phasers and full timing components with lockouts. Not cheap but necessary. Have your truck diagnosed and see if the ticking is either lifters or cam phasers
why are you installing lockouts? I know how to diagnose lifters and followers but you have to pull the valve covers my way. If you do that you might as well keep going and replace some stuff while you are in there.
Old 01-08-2016, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by bbrad1775
why are you installing lockouts? I know how to diagnose lifters and followers but you have to pull the valve covers my way. If you do that you might as well keep going and replace some stuff while you are in there.
Im sure when the mechanic remove the valve covers will see if anything else needs to be replaced or not. Hopefully not. Mechanic recommend the lockouts and he will flash the computer and re tune it.
Old 01-08-2016, 01:47 PM

Update: Just did an oil change and bumped up to M1 5W30 and it did quiet it down a little bit more.

Originally Posted by Pmoon
Try this test, put the truck in drive, with your foot on the brake give it enough gas to raise the rpms by about 500 then let off the gas. If it sounds like it's running with no oil in it you need a cam phaser job done on it.
My 05 5.4L did exactly this. I replaced the VCT solenoids and it cured it. I still have a little bit of ticking which I chauck up to cam phasers but it is hardly noticeable. All in all I dont mind the tick and if it never gets any louder or cause problems, I'm fine with it being there. For $100 and not having to tear into the engine I am pretty happy. Hope this helps someone. BTW vice grips really help to get those seals out!
Old 01-08-2016, 03:22 PM
dsa

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

I did the VCT's on my wifes 05 Lariat last weekend. Didn't make a single bit of difference. Truck is still ticking. The seals were way easier then I thought. A flat head screwdriver under the 2 tabs and a little twist popped them up enough to easily work them out. The seals and VCT replacement took me about 30 minutes total for both sides.

About 6 months ago I spoke with the service department manager at my local dealership about the ticking. He said that one of the service techs there spent 2 straight days replacing the phasers, guides, chains and VCT's etc.... on a truck exactly like my wife's. 2 weeks later, the truck was back in the shop and the ticking had started again.

Their suggestion to me, was that its a 10 year old truck. As long as there are no symptoms like loss of power or any type of mechanical break downs, just drive the truck and don't worry about it. When I stop to think about it, the truck is a 2005 and I honestly think its been ticking for at least 3 to 5 years now.

With a 10 year old truck, would it be cheaper to buy a new engine if this one explodes, or spend a few thousand on a 10 year old motor? Something to think about........

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cam Phasers or lifter/followers?