Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

CAM PHASER TIME!!! tips and advice?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 02:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default CAM PHASER TIME!!! tips and advice?

So its that time to change my phasers.
Where have some of you purchased your kits from?
I found one on ebay for 600.00 it reads the phasers and tensioners are OEM (which is a must) but guides and chains are after market. Is that a safe way to go?
Im confident I can take it apart to get to the phasers but I will have a buddy of mine (who did his on his 09) help me with putting it back together.
Also question for those of you who have done the job yourselfs... how long did it take you? This will be my first "big" job like this so Im anticipating taking twice as long as those who know their way around their engine.
Appreciate any advice or tips. Thanks.
Old 04-09-2016, 11:40 PM

Bump
Old 04-10-2016, 01:27 AM

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by peanutbutterlife
I found one on ebay for 600.00 it reads the phasers and tensioners are OEM (which is a must) but guides and chains are after market. Is that a safe way to go?
Im confident I can take it apart to get to the phasers but I will have a buddy of mine (who did his on his 09) help me with putting it back together.
Also question for those of you who have done the job yourselfs... how long did it take you? This will be my first "big" job like this so Im anticipating taking twice as long as those who know their way around their engine.
There is a lot of very useful information already in this forum. If you do not know, there is a search function that you can use for your research. Plenty of tips, tricks, timeframes listed. Doing the search and finding this information save people a lot of time and brain power trying to remember how things worked out on jobs they may have done years ago. Just saying..... Trying to help the new guy out in case he didn't know about the search function.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

do you have the link for this kit? i can't seem to find it
thanks
Old 04-10-2016, 11:22 AM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,600 Likes on 6,204 Posts

Amazon.com: Ford 5.4L 3V Camshaft Drive Phaser Repair Kit - Phaser Sprockets, Tensioners, Guides, Chains Kit: Automotive Amazon.com: Ford 5.4L 3V Camshaft Drive Phaser Repair Kit - Phaser Sprockets, Tensioners, Guides, Chains Kit: Automotive
The following users liked this post:
mtulett1 (04-10-2016)
Old 04-10-2016, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by DrGriffin
There is a lot of very useful information already in this forum. If you do not know, there is a search function that you can use for your research. Plenty of tips, tricks, timeframes listed. Doing the search and finding this information save people a lot of time and brain power trying to remember how things worked out on jobs they may have done years ago. Just saying..... Trying to help the new guy out in case he didn't know about the search function.
Cool thank u. Been in the forum for a little while now but still learning my way around it. I'll def. look it up on the search function.
Old 04-10-2016, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by mtulett1
do you have the link for this kit? i can't seem to find it thanks
For the life of me I don't know how to get the link from eBay but I just typed in : NEW ford 5.4 3v f150 camshaft phaser sprocket timing chain kit and its 600.00 with free shipping.
Old 04-10-2016, 11:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

So its that time to change my phasers. Where have some of you purchased your kits from? I found one on ebay for 600.00 it reads the phasers and tensioners are OEM (which is a must) but guides and chains are after market. Is that a safe way to go? Im confident I can take it apart to get to the phasers but I will have a buddy of mine (who did his on his 09) help me with putting it back together. Also question for those of you who have done the job yourselfs... how long did it take you? This will be my first "big" job like this so Im anticipating taking twice as long as those who know their way around their engine. Appreciate any advice or tips. Thanks.
I have all the timing components for sale, all Ford genuine parts, including lifters and rocker arms. Message me if interested...
Old 06-20-2019, 04:13 AM
2007 STX special edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Fordpartsgiant.com based in Canada is where I got
factory ones for what the Dorman ones go for. (Which are garbage) get the factory ones. I got the tensioners and chains from Rockauto.com. I ordered the cam sensors, vct solenoids and the plugs and Millan oil pump from Amazon.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:20 AM
nathan3306

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts

This is what I purchased and who I purchased from:
Modular Motorsports Racing has a complete kit, all OEM
340HV oil pump summit racing
adjuster/lifters/followers ford parts giant
VCTs, gaskets, spark plugs, etc... amazon
Get the phaser holding tool, spark plug tool, crankshaft position tool, and the 3V camshaft spring compressor tool. This will make your life a little bit easier and if you're following FTML videos, it will be easier to follow along. Also get a lot of brake cleaner, supertech from wally is cheap but hard to find now.

It took me and my wife about three days to complete the job (we did some other maintenance items to the truck too). I had some help from neighbors along the way as well which they all were a big help just to give me a break and let them wrench on it some. I was working in some uncharted territory so it took me awhile. Now that I know what I'm doing and somewhere how to do it, I think it could be done in about a 1.5 days or less. It's just a pain to get to certain things and trying to be careful is what takes so long.

Last edited by nathan3306; 06-20-2019 at 07:28 AM. Reason: input time for job
The following users liked this post:
F150Torqued (06-20-2019)

Quick Reply: CAM PHASER TIME!!! tips and advice?