Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

CAI AND TBS!!! who to go with?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 09:54 PM
Car Audio FANATIC

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CAI AND TBS!!! who to go with?

hey all

i'm lookin for a cold air intake and a throttle body spacer. i know they are expensive but i'm pretty sure i can convince myself to lay down the money with the gas milage increase lol.

if anyone has any stats off the top of their heads with a CAI and a TBS together that would be awesome!!

i have a 2007 f150 by the way.

let me know what your favorite brand is
Old 11-29-2007, 12:17 AM
FX6 King

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dont bother with the throttle body spacer, the intake yes, i like my AFE intake kit, $'s well spent,
reason for not needing the spacer is our trucks are injected completly different then what the spacers were originally made for. (carbs)
Late model fuel injected cars and trucks have their fuel and air mixed just prior to being injected into the combustion chamber, meaning all the swirling going on in the intake manifold isn't happening with the fuel, so the "mixing" of the air and fuel doesn't happen. Older, carburated vehicles and ones with throttle body injection (older than a '95) can benefit from this swirling motion
all your truck will do is make an ugly winning sound. you just dont see them selling like they used to becouse of all of this
Old 11-29-2007, 12:20 AM
FX6 King

forgot to mention i have seen the test on the v10 ford motor with the spacer and it lost 3 hp and about 8 ft-lb. no lie!
Old 11-29-2007, 01:01 AM

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by TX Mike
dont bother with the throttle body spacer, the intake yes, i like my AFE intake kit, $'s well spent,
reason for not needing the spacer is our trucks are injected completly different then what the spacers were originally made for. (carbs)
Late model fuel injected cars and trucks have their fuel and air mixed just prior to being injected into the combustion chamber, meaning all the swirling going on in the intake manifold isn't happening with the fuel, so the "mixing" of the air and fuel doesn't happen. Older, carburated vehicles and ones with throttle body injection (older than a '95) can benefit from this swirling motion
all your truck will do is make an ugly winning sound. you just dont see them selling like they used to becouse of all of this
I agree. TB spacers make better paperweights than anything else Just go with the intake until you can afford more mods.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:02 AM

I'll post it again. My mileage increased .2 MPG with a TBS. Your mileage will be different.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:05 PM
Inaugural TOTM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Can't speak to a TBS, but I defer to the more knowledagle folks for that. As far as CAI, I have an Air Force 1 on my truck and love it. It made an instant difference in the throttle response of my truck from the moment I put it on. I would highly recommend one. There are 2 versions for our trucks, the 3" and the 3.5". The difference is with the 3.5" you absolutely have to have custom tuning or your truck will run lean. With the 3" tube you don't need custom tuning. I installed my intake prior to getting my custom tunes, but I still would have went with the 3" simply so I could return my truck to the stock tune for dealership trips without having to replace my intake.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:02 PM
dumb dumb

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I went with the JLT intake because it is positioned in the center for better airflow according to their testing. JLT also has a very good reputaion making intakes for Mustangs. I agree with everyone elso that the Throttle body spacer wont give you very mutch you are better off puting that money twords a good tuner.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:19 PM
Car Audio FANATIC

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

hey guys thanks for all the help!! hate to sound like a complete newb, but i am, so i got another question. when you guys say tuner.... what do you mean? i know it tunes the engine and how it mixes air and fuel and how much and all that stuff... but what would be a good brand to go with. i want more power, but not so much i lose the MPG (college student lol).
Old 11-30-2007, 12:30 AM
MuthaTruckin' Monster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunslinger
I'll post it again. My mileage increased .2 MPG with a TBS. Your mileage will be different.
I'm sorry Gunslinger...is that a decimal point in front of that 2MPG as in 2/10th's MPG extra??

So are you promoting the TBS as working or as being a waste cuz I'm not sure if you're suggesting that an extra .2 MPG means that the TBS is worth it or not cuz I could probably **** in my fuel tank and get an extra .2 MPG every now and then ?!

And NO, I'm not sharing my urine w/anyone else!
Old 11-30-2007, 12:54 AM
Inaugural TOTM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by iRmARK88
hey guys thanks for all the help!! hate to sound like a complete newb, but i am, so i got another question. when you guys say tuner.... what do you mean? i know it tunes the engine and how it mixes air and fuel and how much and all that stuff... but what would be a good brand to go with. i want more power, but not so much i lose the MPG (college student lol).
If you want your truck custom tuned, meaning a tune specifically built for your truck then you want an Xcal II/III or Livewire. The 2 most talked about tuners are Troyer Performance (my recommendation) and VMP. If you want canned tunes that are designed for any F150 out there on the road then get an Edge. I'd highly suggest you do some research though because the Edge is known to cause transmission issues for owners. Lots of guys buy the Edge because they like the guages that you can use with it. My suggestion would be an Xcal II with Troyer custom tuning and if you want the guages to monitor your truck get a scanguage II.

Last edited by wxmcpo; 11-30-2007 at 01:17 AM.

Quick Reply: CAI AND TBS!!! who to go with?