Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Bye bye rearend.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 11:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bye bye rearend.....

Well at least I think.... Ok I've delt with the rearend shudder for awhile not and the pinion seal just started leaking so I replaced that and all new fluid with additive to help free up the clutch packs now after the seal I've put approx 2-300 miles on the truck and this morning I was slowing down near an airport and I thought a plain went overhead which was a very strange time for a plane (small airport) but problem was I couldn't see any planes so I carried on the the next stop sign after the Prius got out of the way and as I began decreasing speed no foot on either pedal.... There that sound was again..... Well when I'm going down the road I have a hum. But as soon as I begin to coast it sounds like a jet landing on a runway not CRAZY LOUD but quiet enough to get your attention! And at certain speeds it adds a "clack clack clack" noise at the rate of however fast you are going usually low speed. Both of those noises added with a dragging noise as if your brake pads are completely shot! (It's not the brakes the noises are there with brakes applied or at a coast and even when pumping the breaks the noise changes only with speed of the truck)

First: anybody have any experience ??

Second:options????? Hear are I few things running through my mind rebuild the rear, toss a locker in it and throw the LS in the dumpster, have a Reman complete rear end swapped in with warranty ORRRR???

2006 5.4l 4x4 3.73LS 63kmiles. All stock and the truck is drivable....... It doesn't wobble or anything just hellacious noises lol
Old 11-04-2013, 11:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tomorrow I'm going to try to get the diff cover off and take a look but I am in a pinch for time at the moment so I wanted to throw every option out there and see if anybody else has ever dealt with this.... I've searched a lot and all I could find was clutch pack problems and none with the issues I'm getting....
Old 01-21-2014, 01:58 PM
poopin.....on this thread

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

you ever figure anything out?
Old 01-21-2014, 02:28 PM

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Sounds like your bearing are bad. I'm no expert though. Just a thought
Old 02-12-2014, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rearends

I have the same truck, 06 Fi50 5.4 and I am on my second rearend with what seems like a 3rd on the way. First was covered by warrenty, 2nd cost 1200.00. The cause from what they told me was the limited slip clutch packs were done and now after 1 year it's started making the same sounds more so when turning corners from a dead stop. Can't give you a fix but just what the possible problem is, sorry man.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:55 AM
poopin.....on this thread

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by derbydad
I have the same truck, 06 Fi50 5.4 and I am on my second rearend with what seems like a 3rd on the way. First was covered by warrenty, 2nd cost 1200.00. The cause from what they told me was the limited slip clutch packs were done and now after 1 year it's started making the same sounds more so when turning corners from a dead stop. Can't give you a fix but just what the possible problem is, sorry man.
have you tried adding some additional friction modifier?

I have a slight shudder, especially when turning on dry pavement from a dead stop. I am going to put another bottle of modifier in and see if that helps before I go and tear it down to rebuild the clutchpacks. From what i have seen, its not that bad of a job. more prepwork to get it to the stage to do the swap than anything. If you think about it. Its not much different than the plugs. you gotta take of the intake, computer, computer bracket, all the COPs. All just for a plug. Alot of days I the older style motors. So easy to work on. You could do a whole top end swap in 45 mintues.

Quick Reply: Bye bye rearend.....