Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Bumper Cosmetics

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 06:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bumper Cosmetics

This is probably a dumb question, but since I am no expert or mechanic, I know there is someone who will know. My wife was driving my truck one morning and when she was pulling into our parking space, she rubbed up against a pole and put scratches on the chrome bumper and fiberglass piece just above the bumper. My question is will getting that part buffed out take off the paint from the pole or will I have to get both the bumper and fiberglass piece replaced? Thanks.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should be able to wet sand the paint off of the upper valance and then polish the shine back out no problem... But idk about the chrome bumper
Old 05-31-2011, 05:06 PM

Ok, thanks, I will give that a try and see what happens. I plan on repainting the truck in the future, but am looking for a short term solution till then.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:28 PM
VanoFord2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 06F150JC
This is probably a dumb question, but since I am no expert or mechanic, I know there is someone who will know. My wife was driving my truck one morning and when she was pulling into our parking space, she rubbed up against a pole and put scratches on the chrome bumper and fiberglass piece just above the bumper. My question is will getting that part buffed out take off the paint from the pole or will I have to get both the bumper and fiberglass piece replaced? Thanks.

Well first off you pimp slap her for thatSecond yes you can buff out the fiber glass scratches.N yes the chrome bumper can be taken care of as well.It's called number 3 staneless steel scouring pad.I use it all the time on my bumpers and works fine
Old 05-31-2011, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Skull31
Well first off you pimp slap her for thatSecond yes you can buff out the fiber glass scratches.N yes the chrome bumper can be taken care of as well.It's called number 3 staneless steel scouring pad.I use it all the time on my bumpers and works fine
Fortunately, I was in Afghanistan when it happened, so I had time to cool off, or else I probably would've come close to that. Awesome, thanks I appreciate that a lot.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:34 PM

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

the upper cover is plastic not fiberglass. i would try using some thinner to take the paint off then some compound to buff it out.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I managed to take some scratches out from all sorts of stuff hitting my truck from college. I used meguiars ultimate compound, applied by hand. great stuff and only $10 at any auto parts. its stronger than scratchx. You can also wetsand, but what I dont like about wetsanding is that you can damage the paint more than by using the Megs UC.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by PR.F150
I managed to take some scratches out from all sorts of stuff hitting my truck from college. I used meguiars ultimate compound, applied by hand. great stuff and only $10 at any auto parts. its stronger than scratchx. You can also wetsand, but what I dont like about wetsanding is that you can damage the paint more than by using the Megs UC.
Thanks a bunch, I will take some before and after pictures.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:34 PM
VanoFord2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks a bunch, I will take some before and after pictures.
I would still pimp slap her.Remember the pimp hand is strong in you

ya def get some pics up when you can man

Quick Reply: Bumper Cosmetics