Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Broken Driveshaft

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Broken Driveshaft

So I was experiencing some pretty minor overall vibration. I had just replaced the tires about a month ago. I figured it was a balancing issue. On the way to the tire shop, the truck locked up while accelerating from a stop and I heard something break. Looked underneath and the driveshaft at the rear differential was laying on the ground. Looks like the rear end locked up and snapped the driveshaft off the differential. It's headed to the shop now. I'm trying to get an estimate on repairs just to know I'm not getting taken advantage of. Can anyone help me out with this? Thank you.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:53 PM
Administrator

Received 1,682 Likes on 587 Posts

That sucks! If its just the shaft, probably not too terribly bad since a used one is probably pretty cheap. If the rear end locked up causing the shaft to snap, hold on for a wild ride. Could have done some transmission damage if that's the case.

On another note- why does your muffler look like it has mutant skin? All those bumps and bubbles......
Old 05-16-2017, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Lenn
That sucks! If its just the shaft, probably not too terribly bad since a used one is probably pretty cheap. If the rear end locked up causing the shaft to snap, hold on for a wild ride. Could have done some transmission damage if that's the case.

On another note- why does your muffler look like it has mutant skin? All those bumps and bubbles......
That's what I suspected. I have a feeling it was something that locked up in the rear end that caused the driveshaft to snap. Holding my breath now!
As far as the mutant muffler...I have no clue. Just noticed that after you pointed it out!
Old 05-16-2017, 04:31 PM

Received 216 Likes on 170 Posts

Your driveshaft isn't broken at all, the part that snapped is part of the differential. Prob end up reusing the driveshaft when its all said and done.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:58 PM

Received 434 Likes on 289 Posts

Driveshaft is fine, pinion snapped. (WTH?)

Likely going to need a new gearset and bearings, depending on what's left inside the diff. Might just be cheaper to get a junkyard rear end and replace it en toto.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:06 PM

I'm pretty sure the bearings were all over the street where it snapped. Having the shop diagnosis it but won't know more until Thursday. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:06 PM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 627 Likes on 564 Posts

Default Thats some fluid out of the diff so it wasn't completely empty

But I wonder if it lost most of the fluid and melted the gears . I had this happen but mine had molten metal running out on the ground so maybe not . Could one rear brake stuck cause this , Of course that rim would have been red hot .
Interesting to see the root of this . Junk yard rear end probably the best way out .
Old 05-16-2017, 10:45 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

With the pinion shaft sheared off either you were getting on it hard and twisted off due to spring wrap and jumping up and down or if you were cruising at steady speed then something froze in the trans. or it did a forced down shift or got bumped into reverse and the momentum sheared the pinon. At the very minimum The diff is toast.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by bubbabud
With the pinion shaft sheared off either you were getting on it hard and twisted off due to spring wrap and jumping up and down or if you were cruising at steady speed then something froze in the trans. or it did a forced down shift or got bumped into reverse and the momentum sheared the pinon. At the very minimum The diff is toast.
I rarely ever get on it. This occurred when accelerating from a stop sign at normal speed. Like I mentioned though, the truck was vibrating for the prior 10-15 miles. I thought it was just a wheel balance issue. Obviously not.
Nothing bumped it into reverse. I'm really hoping it wasn't the transmission. Probably won't know until I get the rear end put back together.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by redfishtd
But I wonder if it lost most of the fluid and melted the gears . I had this happen but mine had molten metal running out on the ground so maybe not . Could one rear brake stuck cause this , Of course that rim would have been red hot .
Interesting to see the root of this . Junk yard rear end probably the best way out .
Funny you mentioned the brakes. I had a front passenger brake calipers that was stuck a few months ago. Found this out after driving for a bit and noticing smoke coming from the wheel area. I replaced that caliper and everything seemed to be working fine. Didn't think there were any issues with the rear brakes. Guess it's a possibility.