Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Brand New Motor and engine light on already!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 05:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brand New Motor and engine light on already!

So to make a long story short, I had to have my old 2004 5.4 Triton motor with 154k replaced a couple weeks ago. I've only owned the truck for not quite a year and had many issues but you can find all that in my other posts.

Anyway, so I just had the code P0198 Temperature(EOT)Sensor Circuit High come on today. After doing some research I learned the oil temperature sensor could be faulty. However, I looked at the oil filter that was installed when the motor was changed and it's an Autolite. The shop told me they used a Motorcraft one but they lied to me. I also learned that if they didn't put in the Ford 5w20 oil this could trip the sensor as well. When I called them about this they said no, that would not be it. The sensor is likely bad. I checked out the sensor and the wiring and everything looks fine. So what would be more likely to cause this?? The wrong oil or a bad sensor? Both maybe?
Old 09-26-2013, 06:52 PM

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

I would lean towards the sensor first..
Old 09-26-2013, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by alsatropine
I would lean towards the sensor first..
I stopped at O'reily Auto Parts on the way home and they did not have the part. Said its probably a dealer part. Does anyone know or have that part number?

On another note, I had my brakes checked and was told they were fine at the shop. But, the pedal is getting "squishy" as hell and its harder to come to a complete stop. When I keep pressing the pedal and it just will keep going in to the floor. I have also noticed more brake dust on the wheels. The pads and rotors look fine.

Could it be the master cylinder or brake booster maybe?
Old 09-27-2013, 12:41 AM

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

Have you physically looked at the sensor for any chaffed wiring ? Have you tried clearing the code to make it reappear?
Old 09-27-2013, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by alsatropine
Have you physically looked at the sensor for any chaffed wiring ? Have you tried clearing the code to make it reappear?
Yes, if it's the sensor that's on the side towards the bottom of the oil pan that's the one I checked. Everything looks good. Now the truck is running poorly, hesitating big time. Could the sensor really be doing all this? I need to get it fixed asap. A brand new motor should not be running so ****ty.

Quick Reply: Brand New Motor and engine light on already!