Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Brake light and turn signal problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake light and turn signal problem

Alright guys. Went out this afternoon to my truck, started it and started to drive. Got to the top of my road at the sign stop, put my turn signal on and nothing. The actual turn signals are not flashing and it is not flashing on the dashboard. Also, at the same time, my brake lights stopped working too. And no its not the bulb thats bad. When i turn my lights on, the tail lights light up and the parking lights up front turn on, they just blink for turn signals or light up for brakes. Now my question is what do you think could be causing this? Blown fuse?
Old 01-20-2011, 10:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default no lights

recheck the bulbs , its a little unusual for both to go out at the same time . the bulbs have two filaments ; so. the tail lights /brake will come on but the blinker filament may be out look closely . of course always check for blown fuses . if the bulbs are good check for corrosion loose wire at the socket . corrosion will get ya every time and not easily seen . or less likely but a possibility is the blinker stick on the column is broke /worn inside
good luck; let me know what you find out .

Last edited by gassign94; 01-20-2011 at 10:26 PM. Reason: additional info .
Old 01-21-2011, 10:21 AM

i wouldnt think that it was broke because the wiper blades still work from the control on it and the high beams still work from it. Also it wouldnt explain why the brake lights arent working.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:30 AM
Mark

Received 2,416 Likes on 2,117 Posts

they just blink for turn signals or light up for brakes. Thats what they a supposed to do...
Old 01-21-2011, 10:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default break lites

that is separate from the signal light portion in the column . there is a plastic
engager that may have broken . but that would be last to look at .
the bulbs are two filaments if the brake lights work completely , look for corrosion at the socket that may not allow the signal filament to light . or there may be a short otherwise elsewhere .* look at the bulb really close it doesn't have to look burned . the filament is very fine . if the break lights aren't working check the switch at the break pedal under the dash . *

Last edited by gassign94; 01-21-2011 at 10:51 AM.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:14 PM

Ended up being an easy fix, just blew a fuse. Didnt get the opportunity last night to check it out because it was snowing out and I didnt feel like laying half in and half out of the truck while snowing to get to the fuse box. They really need to make it easier for tall people to get to.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Riggy24
Ended up being an easy fix, just blew a fuse. Didnt get the opportunity last night to check it out because it was snowing out and I didnt feel like laying half in and half out of the truck while snowing to get to the fuse box. They really need to make it easier for tall people to get to.
which fuse number was it can you please help?? I have the SAME problem and i got pulled over twice please respond! Thank you
Old 07-26-2017, 06:40 PM

Default brake lights and rear turn indicators not functioning

2011 F150 supercrew 5.0 alt
All brake lights and only rear turn signals went out at the same time.
I have front turn signals and rear driving lights and reversing( backup lights ) lights.
Fuses are all ok , brake pedal switch is ok. Could it be the PCM or the multi function column switch ? The only other thought i have is it might be something to do with the trailer lights or relays ?
Any help greatly appreciated !
Old 07-27-2017, 09:30 PM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 627 Likes on 564 Posts

Default diagram

Old 07-28-2017, 12:06 AM

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by gassign94
recheck the bulbs , its a little unusual for both to go out at the same time . the bulbs have two filaments ; so. the tail lights /brake will come on but the blinker filament may be out look closely . of course always check for blown fuses . if the bulbs are good check for corrosion loose wire at the socket . corrosion will get ya every time and not easily seen . or less likely but a possibility is the blinker stick on the column is broke /worn inside
good luck; let me know what you find out .
He is mostly right (I am aware you have resolved the issue and not being rude to gassign94 by correcting him, just making sure accurate info is on the post for others) about the bulbs with 1 exception.

With the stock incandescent bulbs, there are two filaments. One is for the BRAKE/BLINKER, and the other is the running light.

All one has to do in order to test the BULBS for operation is turn on your parking lights (running lights) and turn on your Hazards.

If both bulbs light up constantly and are also simultaneously flashing, then the bulbs are okay for run lights, brake lights, and blinkers.

That is how to test the bulbs when you have one person. No need to have someone push the brake pedal, turn on blinkers one at a time, and turn on run lights.

This same procedure works for checking trailer lights as well.

If it was the fuse that blew, I'd keep an eye on it. If it happens again, and wasnt just an old fuse, I'd inspect the wires, connections, and sockets to make sure nothing is shorting out.

Quick Reply: Brake light and turn signal problem