Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Bought a high mileage truck, ? on which oil

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 11:55 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Bought a high mileage truck, ? on which oil

Just bought an 06 FX4 with 182,000 miles on the clock. Truck runs and drives like a new one, the 5.4 is quiet as can be with no rattles what so ever. I want to keep it that way for as long as possible. My question is, with not knowing what kind of oil has been run during it's life (no service records and bought from a dealer) would it be a good idea to run a full synthetic?
Old 01-16-2013, 06:49 AM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm likely to start an argument here, but with that type of mileage, I personally wouldn't go with a full synthetic. I'd go with a high mileage semi synthetic.....as I'd worry about those seals inside running full synthetic. In a perfect world, I'd say run what has BEEN run in it, but you don't know. If you bought it at a dealer, they LIKELY put motorcraft or at least a comparable semi synthetic in it as that is what the book calls for.

DON'T add aftermarket crap to the oil and make sure you use a good filter with an anti flowback valve so the top of the engine isn't dry at startup.

These engines if taken care of have been known to go 300k or more miles, but are tempermental on maintenance, kinda like a pretty woman!
Old 01-16-2013, 10:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm thinking maybe a semi synthetic might be the safest bet. And I don't believe in additives so that's not gonna happen.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:30 AM

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

I had a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 318 Magnum. It had regular dino oil used in it for the first 80000 miles, then I put in Mobil 1 full synthetic. Driving to work the next day I suddenly lost all oil pressure. Concerned I might have lost the drain plug I pulled over and checked, but everything was fine. The dipstick indicated I had the correct oil level. When I started the engine back up, the pressure gauge indicated normal. As I accellerated, the needle suddenly dropped to zero again. I went ahead and limped it home. I figured my oil pump must have gone bad, so I drained the oil and dropped the pan. What I found was the oil pickup screen clogged with sludge. I cleaned out the pan and the screen, went back to dino oil and all was good.
I rather think that if you even use a blend type oil, you might want to consider changing the oil again much sooner than required a couple times.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have over 170,000 and I always use royal purple full synthetic. Bought it with 120,000 miles and made the change with no regrets.

Quick Reply: Bought a high mileage truck, ? on which oil