Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Bigger motor or mod it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bigger motor or mod it?

I have a 04 4.6l v8 xlt Triton reg cab and I'm wondering if I should just drop a 5.4l in it or mod it to hell? What are yalls opinions?
Old 01-24-2011, 05:43 PM

Received 165 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Pankpank42
I have a 04 4.6l v8 xlt Triton reg cab and I'm wondering if I should just drop a 5.4l in it and mod it to hell? What are yalls opinions?
There I fixed it
Old 01-24-2011, 06:37 PM

Haha. Well it's a pretty decent truck Already. I was thinking about either a turbo or the bigger motor. Ive already put a cai and pipes and a programmer.But it's sucks on pulling my dirtbike trailer. And when I try racing people i get blown away.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sale it and get a truck with the 5.4
Old 01-24-2011, 07:10 PM

Have you thought about different gears?
Old 01-24-2011, 07:46 PM

Can't sale it. I'm only 17. But I got some money saved and was lookif for Somethin. Plus I like how mine looks. But I do need more power
Attached Images  
Old 01-24-2011, 08:05 PM
I Wanna Go FAST!!!

Custom tunes
CAI
E-Fans
Under Drives pulleys
Custom Exhaust say dual magnapacks with long tubes and high flows Cats
4.10/4.30 gears

do that and you will have yourself an awesome and pretty quick truck and beat most 5.4s and hemis and such
Old 01-24-2011, 08:33 PM

Received 434 Likes on 289 Posts

Here's a solution to part of the problem....

Don't race it.

Problem solved.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:33 PM

What is custom tunes? And what are the benefits of the electric fans? Also I can only find underdrive pulleys for the heritage model. Will they work on mine?
Old 01-24-2011, 08:51 PM

Here explains custom tunes:

Q: So, has somebody figured out a way to "rewrite" the tune so it makes the truck perform the way I drive?

A: You bet! Engineers at companies like Edge, DiabloSport and Superchips have analyzed the stock tune and have redesigned portions of it to perform better according to specific needs. For instance, if you tow a lot, there is a redesigned tune that helps with low end "pull", to get you moving with a heavy load. If you want to use high octane fuel, there is a tune with redesigned timing and fueling that helps you get more power from the higher priced gas you're using. If you want better fuel economy, there's a tune for that too. Tunes can make the transmission shift more "crisply", suffer less wear, and they can reduce the "delay" that you feel when you drop the hammer in a passing maneuver.

Q: All right, are these tunes the "custom" tunes I've been reading about?

A: Not quite. They can be called "canned", or "generic" tunes. They're better than "stock", but they still target a fairly wide audience. For instance, the F150 is rated to tow trailers ranging from a little homemade "brush hauler" up to something approaching 10,000 pounds. A single tow tune can not possibly work equally well for all towing needs, even though it does better than "stock". Similarly, if you've added aftermarket modifications like long tube headers and a cold air intake, the canned "performance" tune won't be right for you, since it was written for a "stock" vehicle. Even things like where you live have an influence. Vehicle operation at 8,000 ft requires a different strategy than what is needed at sea level and someone operating a truck in Canada is going to appreciate a different tune than someone living in the Arizona desert. Even if you don't have mods and don't tow, your needs are different if you are an in-town driver compared to a highway driver. To get the best out of your truck, you need tunes customized for the way you drive and your specific driving needs.

Q: I'm still not sure I understand, can you explain the differences between these tunes again?

A: This is a comparison that many people have used. It may help. Pretend you need a new suit to impress your girlfriend.
1. Stock tune: You go to a department store and buy a suit of clothes (ready to wear). Your girlfriend yawns.
2. Canned tunes: You have the suit you bought tailored at one of the combination cleaner/tailoring places, so that it fits you like a glove. Your girlfriend tells you she likes the way you look and seems really happy to be with you.
3. Custom tunes: You pay to have a big name designer create a suit of clothes for you out of fabrics fit for a king. You ditch your girlfriend and accompany a Hollywood starlet to the Academy Awards.
Electric fans give slightly better response due to not having parasitic drag from the mechanical fan. Pulleys look at what Troyer has. Be warned you can have problems running both if charging is compromised.
http://www.troyerperformance.com/cgi...talogno=527374

Quick Reply: Bigger motor or mod it?