Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Best way to moderately increase the power of the 4.6?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 10:12 AM

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Best way to moderately increase the power of the 4.6?

Love the truck, but it's just very underpowered for this size vehicle. It has punch right off the line right until about 15 mph. Anything after that and it can't get out of it's own way. Now I know it's a big truck and all, but as a comparison, my GF's 4 cyl Accord is like a rocket compared to this thing.

Not looking to do anything crazy but is there some good mods to help this thing moving down the road a bit quicker? I mean highway on ramps, passing and general acceleration...its just like...come on, you can do it. I'm 44 years old, have had many different vehicles since I was 16, and it's the slowest vehicle I've ever owned.

Don't get me wrong, I just casually cruise in this truck and I am certainly not looking to race anyone, but even so, the truck is just painfully slow at times.

Suggestions?
Old 06-29-2016, 10:16 AM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

Gotts mod, new exhaust, re teach your electronic throttle, clean TB, clean MAF, change air filter. Those are all fairly cheap and simple. I don't think there is really any cheap, simple way to get any NOTICABLE power out of the truck.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:17 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

what rear end gears does it have ?
Old 06-29-2016, 10:22 AM
Cycle For Fun and Health

Received 495 Likes on 384 Posts

A tuner will give you the most bang for your buck.
It will also add other features such as code reading, trans shift management, temperature monitoring, speedometer correction.
There are numerous brands available. One of the most popular for the 2004 - 2008 trucks is the Edge Evo.
You can frequently find them used on this forum, Craigs List or Ebay.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:36 PM

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by techrep
what rear end gears does it have ?
I'm not sure, Is it on the sticker inside the door? I know it has the tow package.

Originally Posted by joe mcmillan
A tuner will give you the most bang for your buck.
It will also add other features such as code reading, trans shift management, temperature monitoring, speedometer correction.
There are numerous brands available. One of the most popular for the 2004 - 2008 trucks is the Edge Evo.
You can frequently find them used on this forum, Craigs List or Ebay.
Yeah I thought about a custom tune/CAI combo. Just didn't know how much of a difference it would make on the 4.6. I have a custom BAMA tune & CAI on my 5.0 mustang, and that make a pretty big difference.

I'd prefer to stay away from exhaust, if possible, because I don't want the truck to be loud, especially with how slow it is, lol. Nothing worse, then a vehicle making a bunch of noise like a badass and barely moving. (Not including commercial vehicles of course)
Old 06-29-2016, 12:40 PM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by kbreese
I'm not sure, Is it on the sticker inside the door? I know it has the tow package.

Yeah I thought about a customer tune/CAI combo. Just didn't know how much of a difference it would make on the truck.

I'd prefer to stay away from exhaust, if possible, because I don't want the truck to be loud, especially with how slow it is, lol. Nothing worse, then a vehicle making a bunch of noise like a badass and barely moving. (Not including commercial vehicles of course)

Do the Gotts mod, no need to spend money on a CAI when your truck already has one. If you want improved performance exhaust and intake combo (one without the other doesn't do NEARLY as much good, air must flow evenly throughout) is a very good way to do it. They make performance exhausts that are not loud. I would say if you're willing to spend the money I'd do 3 things first, improved intake, improved exhaust, and a tuner.
Old 06-29-2016, 01:22 PM
SSDD

Received 1,611 Likes on 1,125 Posts

I think most of the peeps here have covered it. A tune and a decent exhaust for starters.
As far as your gearing, sticker on the inside door jamb should have a code. Get that code and either post it here or look it up.
Old 06-29-2016, 02:25 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Must be something wrong with your 4.6; my 2007 has great performance. I too have a tow package (3:55 rear gears). Plenty of giddy up.
The following users liked this post:
xMUDKINGx (07-02-2016)
Old 06-29-2016, 02:44 PM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,580 Likes on 6,196 Posts

^^^Thats most likely due to the fact you perform maintenance on your truck (plugs, COP's, O2 sensors, air filter, fuel filter and all driveline fluids) before you worry about aftermarket goodies.

Now to the OP, when have you done all the basic maintenance items in my previous paragraph? That has to be done before Gotts mod, exhaust and a tuner if you want any kind of performance increase.
Old 06-29-2016, 03:05 PM
SSDD

Received 1,611 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Very good points; summers and bucko. These tune up items are a must.

Quick Reply: Best way to moderately increase the power of the 4.6?