Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Best tuner with good canned tunes

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 09:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Best tuner with good canned tunes

I want to purchase a tuner with good canned tunes to gain a MPG or 2 gain some throttle response, and some shift firmness. Also want to be able to program in my tire size. It seems like the edge evolution or the gryphon are very common. Most likely going to stick to canned tunes all I changed is a flowmaster Super 44 muffler and 2.5" duals so I dont see the need for a custom tune. Any opinions /info are appreciated
Attached Thumbnails Best tuner with good canned tunes-2.jpg  
Old 02-02-2017, 07:06 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

Just saw an Edge for sale yesterday on here for $200 shipped.. great deal.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:43 AM
TOTM 8/2019

Received 339 Likes on 253 Posts

I just bought a used Edge (converted to Gryphon) on here a few weeks back and it works great. Would highly recommend and it does everything you are needing.

You can buy either an Edge or a Gryphon, the hardware is the same. If you want to upgrade your Edge to a Gryphon all you do is D/L some software and hook it up to your computer and it will convert it, real easy I did it.

Also I liked the Edge/Gryphon because if you ever needed custom tunes, it has the capability to load that as well.

Last edited by ReaperHWK; 02-02-2017 at 07:48 AM.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:56 AM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

The Edge is good for what you want to do. I have one in my 05 that I bought primarily for gear ratio and tire size correction. I have bumped up my shift points and converter lock points a couple mph and increased my shift firmness slightly. It works well for these purposes. As far as mpg gains, I'm not seeing anything. With regard to power increases, I have my doubts. I run level 2, and it feels snappier off the line, but as you get deeper into the throttle, the perceived improvement seems to disappear. I think what they have done is change the ramp rate on the throttle so a given amount of initial pedal input results in more throttle blade opening. Its still a good unit for what you want to do, you should try to find that $200 deal Mark mentioned.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:45 AM
Blown Mafia

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts

If you have future plans to mod or make power, I'd say SCT, seems to be the staple when it comes to ford tuning. The SCT with canned tune on my 08 when stock was nice, the shifts were firmer and throttle response was def better. You'll feel an improvement but it won't be huge.
Old 02-02-2017, 05:59 PM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryB
The Edge is good for what you want to do. I have one in my 05 that I bought primarily for gear ratio and tire size correction. I have bumped up my shift points and converter lock points a couple mph and increased my shift firmness slightly. It works well for these purposes. As far as mpg gains, I'm not seeing anything. With regard to power increases, I have my doubts. I run level 2, and it feels snappier off the line, but as you get deeper into the throttle, the perceived improvement seems to disappear. I think what they have done is change the ramp rate on the throttle so a given amount of initial pedal input results in more throttle blade opening. Its still a good unit for what you want to do, you should try to find that $200 deal Mark mentioned.
Sounds about right as level 2 is the "Tow" setting. The improvements for that setting are primarily increased torque and getting it at a lower RPM. When loaded heavy, like towing, you would not want the increases seen in the level 3 which include more spark advance, among other improvements. This also means that at level 3 there is more hp and tq but at a higher RPM which is less useful for heavy loads like towing

FWIW I also have a Gryphon and am happy with it. I leave mine in level 2 as I do not want to have to run high octane fuel.

Last edited by Dirttracker18; 02-02-2017 at 06:02 PM.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:59 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

Hey Dirttracker, you seem to be up to speed on this stuff, riddle me this. Can you think of any reason an Edge on level 2 would cause short spark plug life? About a year and a half ago I changed my plugs and boots, at 95K mi., and installed Motorcraft SP515's. A few weeks ago (now 137K mi.) I was chasing down an intermittent hot start issue (ended up being a dripping injector, changed them all) and pulled a couple plugs to see how they looked. They were burned open to .080 or better, and the platinum electrode tip was gone. I wondered if the Edge employs a multi-spark strategy like MSD does. I called the tech line and of course the tech couldn't begin to grasp what I was asking him. I seriously doubt it does, but I just can't think of what would cause this. If it was excessively lean it would be pinging, misfiring (probably setting a code/codes) and likely have cooked the exhaust valves. Quite the contrary, this is the best running 5.4 I've ever seen. I've gone back to level 1 and just reinstalled my settings. Still runs like a million. I'm going to give it a year or so (I drive about 25,000/year) and see how they look. If you have any epiphanies, please let me know. Thanks. -- Perry
Old 02-11-2017, 12:09 PM

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts

Ive had bullydog, edge and now sct. I love my sct x4 but i have a custom tune from mpt. The canned tunes are garbage. Go custom, its worth the money