Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Best spark plug for 4.6

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best spark plug for 4.6

What spark plugs are you 4.6 guys getting the best results from? I have 53k miles on my truck. Its time to change them out.

Also, is there a how-to with pics on how to change the spark plugs out on a 4.6?

Thanks.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:36 AM

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

motorcraft plugs last 100k, so why would you change them at 53k unless you have a issue
Old 04-28-2010, 11:43 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ford4wd08
motorcraft plugs last 100k, so why would you change them at 53k unless you have a issue
Cuz there are better things than Motorcraft? lol.

To OP: I dont think there is a thread to change the plugs on the 4.6 since its like any other car (the 5.4 is another beast). All you do is loosen the bolt holding down the injector (7mm i believe). Then pull out and move to side. Next, take your sparkplug socket, 3" extension, universal joint, and a 6" extension in that order onto your 3/8" ratchet. Go easy. You wont break them but it will feel like you are gonna as you untighten them. Just go slow, take your time. Do one plug at a time so you dont get confused. Should take you just over an hr, and that includes Adult Bevarages.

I'm on 80k and just did my 3rd change, 40k per set of plugs. I went to an NGK plug the first time, and loved it. So this time I ran the NGK Iridium iX and must say they are nice. Just MO though, good luck on the change.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VanoFord

To OP: I dont think there is a thread to change the plugs on the 4.6 since its like any other car (the 5.4 is another beast). All you do is loosen the bolt holding down the injector (7mm i believe). Then pull out and move to side. Next, take your sparkplug socket, 3" extension, universal joint, and a 6" extension in that order onto your 3/8" ratchet. Go easy. You wont break them but it will feel like you are gonna as you untighten them. Just go slow, take your time. Do one plug at a time so you dont get confused. Should take you just over an hr, and that includes Adult Bevarages.

I'm on 80k and just did my 3rd change, 40k per set of plugs. I went to an NGK plug the first time, and loved it. So this time I ran the NGK Iridium iX and must say they are nice. Just MO though, good luck on the change.
Do you know the torque spec for tightening the spark plug?
Old 04-28-2010, 12:53 PM
Devil's advocate

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tw1nny03
Do you know the torque spec for tightening the spark plug?
11 lb-ft
Old 04-28-2010, 01:02 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tw1nny03
What spark plugs are you 4.6 guys getting the best results from? I have 53k miles on my truck. Its time to change them out.

Also, is there a how-to with pics on how to change the spark plugs out on a 4.6?

Thanks.
Here you go, there are a few tricks that this video points out and there are 4 parts:

Old 04-28-2010, 01:33 PM

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by VanoFord

i dont see the point in throwing money away by changing plugs that much, unless youre heavily modded mybe forced induction or something, and motorcraft makes excellent plugs, and theyre not bad on price either. so in my mind i dont see any reasoning behind changing plugs that much. it like changing your oil ever 500 to 1000 miles
Old 04-28-2010, 02:21 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

no, i agree that its a bit excessive on my end. but everytime i have changed them, 2-3 MIN have been blackened and out of gap, almost worthless. I'd rather spend $50 every 2 yrs to know I have a consistant spark everywhere, but, I also change my diff oil every 25K, and most NEVER change that.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:52 PM
cwcw

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ford4wd08
i dont see the point in throwing money away by changing plugs that much, unless youre heavily modded mybe forced induction or something, and motorcraft makes excellent plugs, and theyre not bad on price either. so in my mind i dont see any reasoning behind changing plugs that much. it like changing your oil ever 500 to 1000 miles
I have made many people on here angry about plug changing because i agree with the same thing you are saying. I dont change them until they are miss firing or at 100k although i have had a vehicle in the past (ford ranger) that i traded in with 180k miles on it that never had to have plugs changed.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:18 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

I don't see any issue with changing them at 50k intervals, although not necessary, it can have some positive results, plus it's a chance to check on how your engine is performing. With the 4.6L you don't have to worry about the plugs breaking, so just pull them and check them out. If they look bad, It's only $25 for a new set of Motorcrafts.

Personal opinion, but I think most of the high performance plugs are mostly hype.

Quick Reply: Best spark plug for 4.6