Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

best riding shock/strut combo

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default best riding shock/strut combo

Hello, I know this question is highly subjective since everyone's idea of ride quality is different, but here it goes. My new to me 04 XL 4x4, had monroe quick struts on front and reflexes on back. The front is kind of stiff and firm but controlled, the back however has a lot of what I call " after jiggle", hitting moderate or big bumps it feels firm but what you would expect, but the small ripples and irregularities in the road it bounces and jiggles too much. My theory is the shocks aren't reacting easy enough to small bumps resulting in tires taking most of the bump, causing the jiggle. By the way I replaced the reflexes on the rear with the same thing couple months ago, not knowing how old they were, made no difference.
Thinking about a set of KYBs exell g's on rear, supposed to be completely oem replacement.
As far as the front goes, is there a strut/spring combo that would ride smoother than Quick struts?
I've got kind of sensitive low back and want the most compliant on road ride as possible, not concerned about towing or off roading.
Sorry about the long post. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails best riding shock/strut combo-20170108_135748.jpg  
Old 04-23-2017, 07:21 PM

Received 3,055 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by farmerchad
Hello, I know this question is highly subjective since everyone's idea of ride quality is different, but here it goes. My new to me 04 XL 4x4, had monroe quick struts on front and reflexes on back. The front is kind of stiff and firm but controlled, the back however has a lot of what I call " after jiggle", hitting moderate or big bumps it feels firm but what you would expect, but the small ripples and irregularities in the road it bounces and jiggles too much. My theory is the shocks aren't reacting easy enough to small bumps resulting in tires taking most of the bump, causing the jiggle. By the way I replaced the reflexes on the rear with the same thing couple months ago, not knowing how old they were, made no difference.
Thinking about a set of KYBs exell g's on rear, supposed to be completely oem replacement.
As far as the front goes, is there a strut/spring combo that would ride smoother than Quick struts?
I've got kind of sensitive low back and want the most compliant on road ride as possible, not concerned about towing or off roading.
Sorry about the long post. Thanks.
The Monroe coilovers in front and reflex shocks in the back are pretty much oem ride quality.

I have the exact same setup in my 2008. I've owned it since new and I can confirm the ride is similar to oem new.

It's a truck and unfortunately, it's going to ride like a truck. There may be shocks that'll help, but I'm not sure anything will make a night and day difference.

How old are you upper and lower ball joints, inner and outer tierods and swaybar links?
Old 04-24-2017, 05:43 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 2008__XL
The Monroe coilovers in front and reflex shocks in the back are pretty much oem ride quality.

I have the exact same setup in my 2008. I've owned it since new and I can confirm the ride is similar to oem new.

It's a truck and unfortunately, it's going to ride like a truck. There may be shocks that'll help, but I'm not sure anything will make a night and day difference.

How old are you upper and lower ball joints, inner and outer tierods and swaybar links?

I agree-my 06 has acted the same way since new. It's a truck and you're not going to make it ride like a Caddy or a Lincoln Mine does ride better with a load than w/o one thou.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:30 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

What air pressure are you running in the tires ?
Old 04-24-2017, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just P-series, stock size, about 35 psi.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:38 PM

Received 3,055 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by farmerchad
Just P-series, stock size, about 35 psi.
Unfortunately, you probably won't get a much better ride then that.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:23 AM
TOTM 8/2019

Received 339 Likes on 253 Posts

My truck rides solid like a truck should. You have leaf springs in the back and a solid rear axle, it's not going to ride smooth.

If you want a better/smooth ride, you need a car with a suspension setup designed for that. I believe Honda Ridgelines have independent rear suspension and is much nicer/smooth ride. But then of course you give up some capabilities like towing and payload.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:50 PM

My ride improved when I got rid of the stock Generals' and put on Micheiln all-season tires. the noise level went way down, and it was more fun to drive. Still doesn't ride like a Caddy, but tires can make some difference.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:13 AM
Renaissance Honky

Received 154 Likes on 134 Posts

-ZOMBIE THREAD REVIVAL!!-

Which way did you end up going with shocks?
I put in the KYB quick struts (GR2/Excell G) with the matching rear shocks.
The shop what did my front end work went off the reservation and put the Monroe Reflex in the rear, before I'd ordered the rear KYB's. There's a definite and pronounced difference in quality between the Monroes and the KYB's; with the KYB in front and Monroe in the back, it always felt like there was about 800 pounds of stuff in the box, every bump would send the back end wallowing while the front was very nice and controlled.

The full GR2 set-up is pretty tight and comfortable to ride on, but still a little 'heavy' feeling in the back. I blame that on the crew cab, and think I probably should have went with the Gas-A-Just shocks in back.

I don't think I could handle a Monroe set-up on all four corners, that would be waaaay too squishy for me.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Eric Kleven
-ZOMBIE THREAD REVIVAL!!-

Which way did you end up going with shocks?
I put in the KYB quick struts (GR2/Excell G) with the matching rear shocks.
The shop what did my front end work went off the reservation and put the Monroe Reflex in the rear, before I'd ordered the rear KYB's. There's a definite and pronounced difference in quality between the Monroes and the KYB's; with the KYB in front and Monroe in the back, it always felt like there was about 800 pounds of stuff in the box, every bump would send the back end wallowing while the front was very nice and controlled.

The full GR2 set-up is pretty tight and comfortable to ride on, but still a little 'heavy' feeling in the back. I blame that on the crew cab, and think I probably should have went with the Gas-A-Just shocks in back.

I don't think I could handle a Monroe set-up on all four corners, that would be waaaay too squishy for me.

Monroe has several different grades of shocks/struts-other than the reflex ones. I'm thinking of the overload spring ones for my rear end as I trailer tow with mine.