Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Been out of the game to long. Need opinions

Old 12-16-2017, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Been out of the game to long. Need opinions

I have to drop a new motor in my truck. In doing so im getting all new style parts for the 5.4 to help take care of all the issues with that motor so it wont happen to me again hopefully. But while the motor is being put in i was thinking about doing some more upgrades. Im putting new water pump in, one piece spark plugs, intake and also putting sct tune in it. but should i do aftermarket headers and mid pipe. Its been awhile since ive had cars that ive upgraded as far as motor work go so i guess im asking what brands should i look at and what parts should i look at to put on while motor is out
Old 12-17-2017, 08:34 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Brads1307
I have to drop a new motor in my truck. In doing so im getting all new style parts for the 5.4 to help take care of all the issues with that motor so it wont happen to me again hopefully. But while the motor is being put in i was thinking about doing some more upgrades. Im putting new water pump in, one piece spark plugs, intake and also putting sct tune in it. but should i do aftermarket headers and mid pipe. Its been awhile since hadcars that ive upgraded as far as motor work go so i guess im asking what brands should i look at and what parts should i look at to put on while motor is out
if you’re looking at long tubes there’s plenty of good options for the 5.4. Problem is, unless you’re pushing lots of power, these motors don’t respond well to easing up the exhaust too far. They like back pressure. I’d focus on getting some good new cats in there, and maybe a different cat back with a decent size muffler.

The 5.4 is a bear to make much power with unless you boost it. You can however flatten the torque curve out with a few mods that will really help how the truck feels every day.

-Intake & exhaust of course
-a good tune goes a long way on the modular v8’s
-different cams can give you more top end, but the stroke is way too long on the 5.4 to go very far up the rev range without swapping out the rods.
- underdrive pulleys & e fans will free up the motor.
- past that you’re looking at boosting it.

Im running a intake off a 5.4 raptor, raptor take off exhaust, and the canned SCT tune right now, and it feels completely different from stock even just with this. May not be making much more power, but it’s got more power where you actually use it every day. Just my .02
Old 12-17-2017, 08:55 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

I would go with a decent set of shorties and then as stated above by Ranger.. the OEM manifolds like to crack and can be a pita to replace..
Old 12-17-2017, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by techrep
I would go with a decent set of shorties and then as stated above by Ranger.. the OEM manifolds like to crack and can be a pita to replace..
this is true. I always forget cause it’s a stereotypical Ford “how could such intellectual engineers design something so stupid”

my only apprehensive measure on the shorties is I spend upwards of 15 hours in the truck every week, and really don’t want to deal with any highway drone lol. I’m still running the regular manifolds, but I’m gonna try keyword try to put the manifolds off a 2010 on it. I’ve heard less complaints of those failing prematurely.

Going down to 2 cats rather than 4 I’m hoping will help mine a little too, but I have no real way to know.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:36 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

2010 manifolds should be the same as yours.. you haven’t heard much because they are a lot newer.
Old 12-17-2017, 10:01 AM

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I installed JBA short tube headers on my 2008 Saleen S331 truck and did not hear or feel any difference so, I would say save your money when it comes to shorties - ymmv.
Old 12-17-2017, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by techrep
2010 manifolds should be the same as yours.. you haven’t heard much because they are a lot newer.
You would think. Part numbers are different though. If they turn out to be the same it’s not gonna hurt anything. Already got the driver side manifold going on mine lol.
Old 12-17-2017, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Saleen S331
I installed JBA short tube headers on my 2008 Saleen S331 truck and did not hear or feel any difference so, I would say save your money when it comes to shorties - ymmv.
so it didn’t/doesn’t drone that bad with the JBA’s ?
Old 12-17-2017, 11:34 AM

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Drone has always been related to muffler choice in my vehicles...S331 had Magnaflow cat back exhaust system from Saleen and actually got 'quieter' with shorties and no drone but, I really like my Gibson Superflow exhaust system in my 2015 sounds great with no drone ��
Old 12-17-2017, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Saleen S331
Drone has always been related to muffler choice in my vehicles...S331 had Magnaflow cat back exhaust system from Saleen and actually got 'quieter' with shorties and no drone but, I really like my Gibson Superflow exhaust system in my 2015 sounds great with no drone ��
ill keep that in mind. Dang 5.4’s drone around 2k seems like no matter how hard you try to control it. Even with just the exhaust off a raptor mine drones a bit around there.
The following users liked this post:
Saleen S331 (12-17-2017)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Been out of the game to long. Need opinions