Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Bed liner? Yes or no and why.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 08:03 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Bed liner? Yes or no and why.

I'm thinking about remove my bed liner. What I like about the bed liner is it slides nicely, but that is it.

What I don't like about it is it could trap moisture and that it will lead to rust.

What do you all think?
Old 09-11-2015, 08:19 PM
Cycle For Fun and Health

Received 495 Likes on 384 Posts

My last truck (2000 F150 from Michigan) had a bedliner from the beginning of its life. I sold it in 2012. At that time it had no rust in the bed. The rust was on the frame and had no relation to the bedliner.
Currently have a spray in liner and a bedrug in later model truck.
The bedrug is great. That is what I will have from now on.
What is best for you will be determined by what you use your truck for.
Heavy work and hauling will benefit from a bedliner or a spray in.
Home use will be best suited with a bedrug.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:30 PM

Received 1,180 Likes on 1,070 Posts

I wouldn't worry too much. Better than using a bare bed, it's hard not to scratch and chip a bare bed, which can lead to rust. I haven't seen any horror stories from drop ins at any rate.

I would consider a spray in ideal though.
Old 09-11-2015, 09:25 PM

Received 267 Likes on 196 Posts

Yes, keep it in if you use your truck as a truck like I do. I did remove my bedliner last year and had no rust under. But I do live in central FL and rust is not an issue unless you drive the beach everyday. BTW, have had mine in since new in 05'
Old 09-11-2015, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by joe mcmillan
My last truck (2000 F150 from Michigan) had a bedliner from the beginning of its life. I sold it in 2012. At that time it had no rust in the bed. The rust was on the frame and had no relation to the bedliner.
Currently have a spray in liner and a bedrug in later model truck.
The bedrug is great. That is what I will have from now on.
What is best for you will be determined by what you use your truck for.
Heavy work and hauling will benefit from a bedliner or a spray in.
Home use will be best suited with a bedrug.
Thank you, good to hear no rust from bedliner, maybe I'll put it back, I like the bedrug idea, but hate to spend money where I don't need.

Originally Posted by nfldfordman
I wouldn't worry too much. Better than using a bare bed, it's hard not to scratch and chip a bare bed, which can lead to rust. I haven't seen any horror stories from drop ins at any rate.

I would consider a spray in ideal though.
Good points, thanks.

Originally Posted by Dembruski
Yes, keep it in if you use your truck as a truck like I do. I did remove my bedliner last year and had no rust under. But I do live in central FL and rust is not an issue unless you drive the beach everyday. BTW, have had mine in since new in 05'
I don't use my truck for work, mostly recreation and occasionally Home Depot run.

Thanks guys, good to know it doesn't really create rust. I think I'm going to leave it.

Cheers!
Old 09-11-2015, 10:44 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Hongstertruck
I'm thinking about remove my bed liner. What I like about the bed liner is it slides nicely, but that is it.

What I don't like about it is it could trap moisture and that it will lead to rust.

What do you all think?

Spray in, not bed liner.

Get a clue.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:01 PM

Received 267 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by ptmccain
Spray in, not bed liner.

Get a clue.
Get a clue about what??? There is nothing wrong with bed liner.
Old 09-12-2015, 01:10 AM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

My 95 had a drop-in bedliner. After some years it didn't sit flush against the bed any longer. Never had a problem with rust though. I would've done a spray-in liner but ended up selling it. My 04 will be getting a spray-in soon. (Hopefully)
Old 09-12-2015, 10:49 PM
Timber Baron

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Bought 2005 recently with factory plastic bedliner. Too slick, stuff slides. Hurts the knees when crawling around. Not awesome for putting a air mattress on top of (camping).

Yanked it out, cut it up with a circle-saw, and threw in a $60 DeeZee rubber floor mat. Mucho likey. Nothing slides unless I really have to stomp the brakes, smooth for air mattress, doesn't hurt knees when crawling in. Have inspected for moisture underneath, and none present, even after I hose down the interior of my camper shell/bed area.
Old 09-13-2015, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Toshbar
Bought 2005 recently with factory plastic bedliner. Too slick, stuff slides. Hurts the knees when crawling around. Not awesome for putting a air mattress on top of (camping).

Yanked it out, cut it up with a circle-saw, and threw in a $60 DeeZee rubber floor mat. Mucho likey. Nothing slides unless I really have to stomp the brakes, smooth for air mattress, doesn't hurt knees when crawling in. Have inspected for moisture underneath, and none present, even after I hose down the interior of my camper shell/bed area.
Why can't you put the rubber mat on top of the bedliner?
I hear you out about the pain when knee down on the bedliner.
The following users liked this post:
Ricktwuhk (09-13-2015)

Quick Reply: Bed liner? Yes or no and why.