Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Bad Fog Lamp

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 05:28 PM
Harley Highway Drifter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Fog Lamp

Ok. I have had this truck for all of a few months. The right fog lamp has blown three lamps... meaning I have replaced the lamp in the fog light 3 times. The first was a filament that blew on the lamp. Second the glass blew up. Third, the glass blew and created a black residue in the lamp. I rode through some water during rains when the first two lamps blew out. The third was a snow and the lamp held until about 7 hrs. of operation THEN it blew. There is moisture all the fog lamp "housing". Is there a gasket I can use. I tried wrapping the lamp with electrical tape at the bare metal terminals on the bulb itself; thinking that the terminals would not be in contact with water that way and the bulb wouldn't blow. I haven't gotten under the truck to see if there is a gasket difference between the left lamp and the right. The left lamp is normal. No moisture inside the housing or on the lens of the fog light. The right which is the problem; has moisture on the inside of the lens. The moisture doesn't go away. I am pissed about this lamp.

Any suggestions???
Old 02-16-2010, 07:28 PM

I have had some moisture in head lamps before but it never caused the bulb to blow, I guess it depends how much you have. Make sure when replacing the bulbs not to tough the glass with your fingers. Oils left from your fingers will cause a hot spot to develop when the bulb is on and will blow the bulb.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:33 PM

Hi,

If a water droplet gets on your hot light bulb, the glass it gonna break....

You've said that there is condensatoin inside the lamp.... You think it's enough to get a drop flyin' around inside the lamp while driving? Maybe a little "puddle" of water inside the lamp you didn't notice?

I think you first have to be sure the inside of the lamp is bone dry. Then check to see if the gasket on the socket is in good shape.... or maybe there is some kinda dirt that keeps the gasket from sealing.

Maybe the lens or the lamp housing is cracked.. I punched a snowdrift last year and it broke the back of the lamp where the mounting bolts are.

But if you keep getting busted glass, the bulb has to be getting wet while it's hot. Not just water vapor, I would think it has to be a good size drop of water.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:35 PM

same thing happend to me because water was getting in so i took them apart and re sealed them and while i was at it i painted the housing black but not the reflector.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:54 PM
Harley Highway Drifter

Originally Posted by FX4Nick
I have had some moisture in head lamps before but it never caused the bulb to blow, I guess it depends how much you have. Make sure when replacing the bulbs not to tough the glass with your fingers. Oils left from your fingers will cause a hot spot to develop when the bulb is on and will blow the bulb.
I know about Halo's and the oil hot spots. Check. Water droplets is what I am thinking. The housing is not moving air because the inside of the housing is damp. Even in the direct sunlight and having enough time to evaporate. The seal looked good to me because when I buy a new lamp, the gasket is already there. It has to be the entire housing. I think I am going to have to get a nutdriver set to get the thing off of the mounts. I'll have pics and all that tomorrow. TY gents...
Old 03-05-2012, 11:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hi do you guys have any kind of cap behind the bumber covering the bulb and wiring mine keep on be damage by water and snow getting on plugging and coroding the inside of the casing of the bulb filetment is intact and good the pins gets all rusted and break inside the plugging after a little while of being used

thx rick
Old 03-09-2012, 03:45 PM

I have been having an issue with my 06 fogs. The plug end looks melted no one side and corroded on the other. I now need to find new wiring!
Old 11-25-2014, 10:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Major thread rez, I realize, plus I never post here, but I had to share...

On the original thread topic, busting/breaking passenger side fog light bulb, I had the same issue for the first couple of years I owned my '05. I would notice condensation/moisture inside the housing on that side, too, but the driver's side was always bone dry. I finally broke down and ordered a brand new housing, but I still had bulbs shattering every few months or so.

I pulled the new housing out, and noticed that, on top, there's a small hole covered with a cloth-looking membrane. I assume it's to let moisture evaporate OUT of the housing, and supposed to keep it from getting back in. The membrane wasn't quite centered on the hole, though from cursory inspection, it did seem to still be completely covering it. On a hunch, I used some basic RTV silicone I had lying around on the perimiter of the membrane, just to make sure nothing was getting around it - I left the center (directly over the hole in the housing) alone.

Reinstalled the housing, popped in the new bulb, and I haven't had a problem since. It's been over a year now, and I haven't lost any more bulbs or noticed any moisture inside the housing.
The following users liked this post:
beantown617 (02-22-2015)

Quick Reply: Bad Fog Lamp