Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Bad ball joints ?

Old 02-15-2017, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad ball joints ?

Here's a short video of me checking the lower ball joints.

In July of 2016 I took my pickup to the shop to have some maintenance work preformed. This isn't a shade tree mechanic. This business is a franchise. There's many of these independently owned shops all over the US. They recommended replacing the lower ball joints. I told them to do the work. In Dec. of '16 I noticed the inside of my front tires were worn a lot compared to the rest of the tire surface. I took my truck to Firestone on 12/30/16 in search of new tires and for an alignment because I thought that was the problem. They (Firestone) told me my ball joints needed to be replaced. With that news I drove to the shop who originally replaced them. I had my paperwork from the work preformed at home so I asked for a print out for everything done on my truck at their shop. It showed that the ball joints were replaced roughly 5 months prior. I told them what Firestone told me and they made a copy of the paper from Firestone suggesting I replace the ball joints. I scheduled an appointment with the original shop and rented a car. Several days later they said the ball joints were fine. I have dealt with this business for about 8 years so even though I was skeptical I accepted what they said and went on my way.
Today I took my pickup to NTB for an oil change. When they were finished they suggested replacing the ball joints in order to avoid excessive internal wear to the inside of my front tires. No kidding. That's what they said. I was angry but calm. The ball joints (parts and labor) are warranted for 24 months. This is clearly written on the invoice from the shop that botched the job.
Is there anything I can do to make this business honor their warranty since two separate businesses have made the same discovery without any prior knowledge of my trucks history? Everything I mentioned took place in Texas. I'm out close to $1000 for parts labor and car rental. I also replaced the front tires for about $500. I just want them to fix my truck and cover the rental car. Thanks for any help and I apologize for being long winded.

Last edited by Fishingrodburner; 02-15-2017 at 04:37 PM. Reason: add hyperlink text
Old 02-15-2017, 05:09 PM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

If they're a franchise, ask for the number for their district manager or corporate customer service office.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:26 PM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

That is clearly a bad ball joint. Do as nrivera suggested. If its warrantied for 24 months then take it in to them, tell them you want to come look at the ball joint with the mechanic in charge while it is up in the air. I doubt there are any good mechanics that will deny that is a bad ball joint.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you both for replying. I left my truck with them in early Jan '17. They said they were fine. I have sent several messages and the video to their local office. They refuse to respond. I'm just trying to figure out what to do next. Their corporate office is located in Houston. There's no "contact us" option so I guess I'll start by calling
Old 02-16-2017, 07:18 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Even a shade tree mechanic could see that is a bad joint...

Search this Thread