Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Backup Camera + Pioneer HU

Old 07-17-2016, 06:06 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Backup Camera + Pioneer HU

I'm about ready to trash my stereo guys.

I had an older style pioneer head unit that was hooked up to a cheapo backup cam. Worked flawlessly for over a year. Than all of a sudden it wouldn't work so I checked all wiring and couldn't find the issue.

Ended up fiddling with the stereo and found if I push on the video wire going into the stereo it'll show picture so I figured something came lose inside the stereo.

Few weeks later I dropped $700 into a new high end pioneer stereo. Got it all wired up but still no backup camera. Figured oh well I probably forgot to hook the power up to it when I installed the body lift.

I just bought a new to me backup camera (OEM Ford logo camera) and got it all wired up and.. Not working.. Same issue if I press on the connector going into the stereo it will show picture (very fuzzy at which I might add I'm assuming from interference. Any fix for that?).
So I cut the end off of another video cable and soldered it on only to have the same issue.

Does anyone know what to do here? I'm getting really flipping frustrated with this thing.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:35 PM

Okay so I found a temporary fix to the whole plug issue..

So right above the backup camera plug is my antenna plug and wire. What I did was I took a zip tie and zip tied the camera wire to the antenna wire that way it's always being pulled up slightly so the connection is made and I can use the camera. Yay I guess. I emailed pioneer to see what they say about the whole issue.

Now all that remains to be fixed for the time being is fixing the miscoloured display when on the backup camera screen.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:40 PM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,573 Likes on 6,194 Posts

I had my plug work loose on mine, all of a sudden one day it was blank. Checked it and sure enough, it was loose. Put some silicone on the stereo side RCA and some tape to hold it snug overnight. That was months ago, no more issues since.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NamedHerOksana
Okay so I found a temporary fix to the whole plug issue..

So right above the backup camera plug is my antenna plug and wire. What I did was I took a zip tie and zip tied the camera wire to the antenna wire that way it's always being pulled up slightly so the connection is made and I can use the camera. Yay I guess. I emailed pioneer to see what they say about the whole issue.

Now all that remains to be fixed for the time being is fixing the miscoloured display when on the backup camera screen.
I actually did the same thing with a zip tie over a year ago the only issue I have now is when I have a heavy load in the back the picture flickers. But besides that no issue. But know I'm having the same issue with my Sirius.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:21 AM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

Just a suggestion since it sounds like putting an upward pressure on the plug helps maybe remove the plug and bend the inner nipple VERY slightly in any direction so as to make a tighter connection. Once you get it bent to where it fits very snuggly then try. If that doesn't help then it is most likely in the stereo itself. It would be very rare (but still possible) that you got 2 stereos with a bad connection. Maybe it is something with the way you're hooking it up? Or maybe when you're putting the stereo back in the dash you're smashing that plug into something?
Old 07-18-2016, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by StephenG
Just a suggestion since it sounds like putting an upward pressure on the plug helps maybe remove the plug and bend the inner nipple VERY slightly in any direction so as to make a tighter connection. Once you get it bent to where it fits very snuggly then try. If that doesn't help then it is most likely in the stereo itself. It would be very rare (but still possible) that you got 2 stereos with a bad connection. Maybe it is something with the way you're hooking it up? Or maybe when you're putting the stereo back in the dash you're smashing that plug into something?
I did try bending the nipple and it didn't help at all. It has to be the connection inside the stereo. I did look around and it's impossible to smash it on anything. I just thought it was weird how the old stereo started this issue without me touching it at all.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:20 AM

That is strange. Maybe you were just very unlucky and got 2 bad pioneers? Did you contact Pioneer about this issue?
Old 07-18-2016, 09:54 AM

That is strange. Maybe you were just very unlucky and got 2 bad pioneers? Did you contact Pioneer about this issue?
Just emailed them last night about it. The only other possible reason I thought of is that maybe that inside nipple is slightly smaller on the 2 cables I tried than it would be on other cables?
Honestly I don't know anymore. Just pisses me off now.
I think I'll be ordering a new cable because I've cut this one so many times it's creating really bad interference. My pictures colors are all inverted and it's a little bit scrambled.
Old 07-18-2016, 10:10 AM

If you bent the nipple to make contact then the size wouldn't be affecting it still. Really strange situation. Especially twice!
Old 07-18-2016, 12:50 PM

If you bent the nipple to make contact then the size wouldn't be affecting it still. Really strange situation. Especially twice!
I've got half a mind of opening up the stereo to see if I can fix it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Backup Camera + Pioneer HU