Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Audio System: CAN-BUS or not

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 10:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Audio System: CAN-BUS or not

I have an 06 f150 FX4 with the factory 6-disc cd mp3 capable head unit. I don't have the subwoofer and all that jazz. It really doesnt sound all that great. I also have the factory Rear Seat DVD entertainment system and want to keep that functioning. It is the factory ford one that has the slide tracks. I am looking to install an aftermarket head unit and everything I read is that the Rear Seat DVD has a special plug and needs a special adapter to function (turn on via CAN-BUS) with the aftermarket head unit. I read conflicting posts on this and other forums as to what adapter (if any) is required. There are 2 adapters and both mention that they are for a "CAN-BUS" only system. However, both adapters do not list an 2006 F-150 as a vehicle it supports.

Adapter 1: Ford OEM DVD Keeper # FRD04-DVD
This adapter supposedly communicates via CAN-BUS to the rear entertainment system to allow it to power up. It has 2 RCA outs that feed into the aftermarket head unit for sound input to the vehicle speakers. This adapter plugs into only the 16 pin AUX dash harness plug which feeds the rear seat ent system only. Again 2006 not on the list of vehicles and it is for CAN-BUS equipped vehicles only.

Adapter 2: PAC C2R-FRD1. This adapter does what #1 above but apparently does more as far as functionality. has RCA outs to aftermarket head unit, and this adapter plugs into all 3 dash harness plugs. It does not list my vehicle as applicable.

I have seen some wiring diagrams on this site "supposedly" for 2006 f150 that say "CAN-BUS", so why won't these adapters work?

I am looking for anyone on this site who has personal experience using these on similar vehicle or knowledge if these adapters are actually required on my vehicle to keep my rear seat entertainment working. OR can I just skip the adapter and just wire the power supply to the rear seat entertainment (only will work on non CAN-BUS). I am royally confused.

Please advise.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

anyone got a (head unit & rear seat ent) wiring diagram pdf they could post or send for specifically my 2006 FX4? I think the one I was looking at was not a 2006 cause the wiring colors don't match
Old 03-16-2014, 01:28 PM

Received 63 Likes on 60 Posts

Honestly, I didn't think they used the Can-bus for audio on the 04-08 but I didn't think about the rear-entertainment. I know my Fusion had the possibility that they did but thankfully they bought the base-stereo so it was easy for me to change .

I do see they did with the Sirius satellite and DVD like you mention. That first drawing, you can see the MS_CAN+/- for the LB-PK and TN wires.

I gave you all of the diagrams and connector views for BOTH with and without DVD (in case it has use to others). Hopefully the with DVD and the connector for DVD player are what you're after.
Attached Thumbnails Audio System:  CAN-BUS  or not-withdvd.jpg   Audio System:  CAN-BUS  or not-withoutdvd.jpg   Audio System:  CAN-BUS  or not-3.jpg   Audio System:  CAN-BUS  or not-4.jpg   Audio System:  CAN-BUS  or not-5.jpg  

Audio System:  CAN-BUS  or not-6.jpg  

Last edited by homer; 03-16-2014 at 01:36 PM.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:34 PM

Received 63 Likes on 60 Posts

Here's a few of the connector views.
Attached Thumbnails Audio System:  CAN-BUS  or not-conn1.jpg   Audio System:  CAN-BUS  or not-conn2.jpg   Audio System:  CAN-BUS  or not-conn3.jpg   Audio System:  CAN-BUS  or not-dvd1.jpg  

Quick Reply: Audio System: CAN-BUS or not