Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

anyone replaced there cats on a 05 fx4, two factory cat system

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone replaced there cats on a 05 fx4, two factory cat system

Hi everyone I have a 05 fx4 need to do the famous imrc replacement..., my cats are shot and not covered under warranty. I found some Flowmaster and MagnaFlow replacements direct bolt o I will buy there pricey but better than dealer. MY question is it looks tight can I just unbolt the factory stuff and drop them out with out any cross members being removed ???? Has anyone replaced thereselfs???? Thanks for all your help steve ohio
Old 02-11-2015, 12:56 PM
Combat Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to F150Forum
I plan to go with Magnaflow myself this spring. Already have cat-back in place.
Should be straight change out. Might need O2 extentions though. Also purchase replacement O2 sensors, you will see the difference new verses factor. I had to replace one when I broke it while changing out the right manifold. Remember the exhaust noise will be loud with high flow cats.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:36 PM

Received 51 Likes on 51 Posts

So are you guys saying that the cats aren't welded in? That is to say that one may just unbolt the old to replace with new then just bolt it back up?
Old 02-11-2015, 02:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by johnny_tucson
So are you guys saying that the cats aren't welded in? That is to say that one may just unbolt the old to replace with new then just bolt it back up?
Cats are welded on, atleast on my truck they were. I have a 2007 lariat super crew 4x4. I just welded pipes in place and got spacers for the o2 sensors so that way it doesnt think theres is to much exhaust emissions goin out with single in single out 40 series flowmaster exhaust single in single out turndown over the back axle. it sounds amazing and has a bit more power without cats but not everybody likes that, just a suggestion.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:34 PM
Combat Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cats are welded to pipe but they have three bolt flange on each end of the pipe.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:33 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

On my 05 the Cats are bolt in they are just in assemblies, cats welded to pipes that are already bent and flanged. the Left and Right sections fit together with a slip joint and compression clamp. It is pretty easy to change on a 2WD you just need a long extension to get the bolts out at the manifolds
Old 02-13-2015, 06:52 AM

yea i saw that just didnt want to replace the whole pipe and i have access to a welder so it was just easier for me to just put a short piece of pipe in.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:41 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I replaced both of mine with the Magnaflow Direct fits it was fairly easy putting them in. I had to cut off about 3" due to aftermarket exhaust. I had to use a 1/2" impact gun to break the bolts loose on the flanges (even with PB Blast but I do have a crippled hand lol). If you have the right length extension, an impact wobbly and a good quality ratchet and socket you'll be good.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:34 PM

Received 51 Likes on 51 Posts

Hey guys, is there any way to replace the cats without any welding? Like hose clamps or anything. I am just thinking it would save me so much money not having to pay someone to weld for me.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by johnny_tucson
Hey guys, is there any way to replace the cats without any welding? Like hose clamps or anything. I am just thinking it would save me so much money not having to pay someone to weld for me.
Yes there is but in my experience the the amount of extra pipe and the cost of getting it welded I don't think is that big of a difference. If you already have what you need most muffler shops are fairly good priced just to weld but it might just depend where you live. Call some shops and see.
The following users liked this post:
johnny_tucson (02-18-2015)

Quick Reply: anyone replaced there cats on a 05 fx4, two factory cat system