Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Anyone have this problem with their gear shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have this problem with their gear shifter?

I have an 04 FX4 with the center console shifter. When I put it into reverse, it will not engage until I select reverse, then nudge the shifter forward a bit. It almost feels like the reverse selection is loose or something. I have only noticed this issue when shifting in to reverse. It appears to be purely an electrical or shifting problem. I have also noticed that until I do the 'nudge' the white reverse lights will not light up either, then the tranny engages and I can back up...

Has anyone else had this problem and how did you take care of it?
Old 02-22-2010, 11:48 AM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

I've got the same problem. At least for model year 2006, Ford hasn't issued a TSB yet.

Looks like you may have to replace the shifter assembly to fix it.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:02 PM
This picture scares you

Linkage???
Old 02-22-2010, 12:21 PM

have you done that and how much does that run?
Old 02-22-2010, 12:34 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

I found the adjustment for the shift cable (sorry the numbering is messed up). Looks like this may take care of it:

Selector Lever Cable Adjustment
Vehicles equipped with a floor shifter

1. Place the transmission range selector lever in the 1ST position toward the rear of the vehicle.
  2. Move the transmission range selector forward 2 detents. This should be the (D) position.
Vehicles equipped with a column shifter

1. Rotate the gearshift lever clockwise until it bottoms out (1ST gear), then rotate the gearshift lever counterclockwise 2 detent positions ((D) position).
  2. Hang a 1.4 kg (3 lb) weight on the gearshift lever.
All vehicles

1. Position the vehicle on a hoist. For additional information, refer Maintenance/Service and Repair.
  1. Rotate the cable adjustment lock upward and disconnect the shift cable from the transmission manual lever.
  1. Slide the shift cable adjustment lock upwards and remove the cable from the manual lever.

1. Rotate the manual lever forward until the travel stops. Then rotate the manual lever back 2 detents to the (D) position.

1. NOTE: Check to be sure that the shift cable retainer is correctly installed in the shift cable bracket. Connect the shift cable to the manual lever and rotate the lock downward to lock the adjuster.

1. Connect the shift cable to the manual lever and slide the lock downward to lock the adjuster.
  2. Verify that the engine will start in PARK and NEUTRAL. Verify that the reverse lamps will illuminate in the REVERSE position. If not, check the adjustment of the transmission range (TR) sensor.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:04 PM

Put the transmission in neutral with the parking brake set, then go under the truck on the passengers side and you should see where the shift line connects to the transmission. Once there there is a clip, there should be a release clip (it will push up, or pop out wards) on it, when you open it the clip will not come off but adjust, close the clip and see if this solves your problem.
This is basic adjustment to the shifter linkage, if that does not seem to do anything I would look at the switch that works the reverse lights.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:33 PM
Viallator

Default Shift Cable

I went under my truck after having issues with going into reverse to find the cable end had come off the trans shifter lever, and the inner retaining peice was missing! I am discusted with the plastic retainer and I'm going to fabricate a better retaining system like those of B&M shifter.. Requires some welding

Quick Reply: Anyone have this problem with their gear shifter?