Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Any suggestions? Dies when comes to a stop ONLY after longer drives?

Old 06-25-2019, 01:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any suggestions? Dies when comes to a stop ONLY after longer drives?

Anytime I’m driving on longer trips and get off freeway and come to a red light my truck wants to shutter and die. It drives great on hwy and great through and around town with no issues but anytime I drive for an extended period of time and come to a stop it shutters with an ugly noise and dies. I’ve got no check engine light and no fault codes. I don’t know which direction to go?
Old 06-25-2019, 02:43 AM
F150 wrecker

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What year and engine size? did the CEL come on yet? Is the engine making any ticking or other noises? Has it had any engine work?

My 2006 5.4l did this and wasn't throwing a code. I pulled the VCT sensors out and found that the previous owner had used dorman sensors and i believe Dorman phasers as well. The screens are different from OEM and were also clogged up. So cleaned them a bit and put them back in, put a can of Seafoam in the crankcase, ran it for 500 miles to get the gunk and varnish out. Then changed the oil and motorcraft filter using 5w-30( hot climate and high mileage).
solved my problem.

Last edited by Paul E Walnutz; 06-25-2019 at 02:44 AM. Reason: spelling

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any suggestions? Dies when comes to a stop ONLY after longer drives?