Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Any special way of loosening outer tie rods?

Old 07-11-2010, 11:48 PM
Something

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Any special way of loosening outer tie rods?

2005 5.4 XLT 4x4

Hey all. I know this whole process and how to do it, but I am wondering if there is any special way of loosening that nut that tightens the outer tie rods to the inner ones. I was playing with it a little today after replacing a front shock but it got dark so I will be doing that and the other side (and yes, the other shock too...unfortunately; not a fun task) tomorrow.

I was trying to turn that nut after spraying a bunch of PB Blaster on it but was afraid of applying too much torque to it before researching a little. I didn't want to mess up my steering gear and it seems to need a lot if torque to loosen. The thing would not budge. I kept the outer tierod connected to the steering knuckle to help prevent damaging the steering gear, but any good ideas about how to proceed? I do not have access to a garage lift so I am just working with jackstands here. I guess I just need to get under there and muscle away, but any good ideas? Thanks.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xJimbos
2005 5.4 XLT 4x4

Hey all. I know this whole process and how to do it, but I am wondering if there is any special way of loosening that nut that tightens the outer tie rods to the inner ones. I was playing with it a little today after replacing a front shock but it got dark so I will be doing that and the other side (and yes, the other shock too...unfortunately; not a fun task) tomorrow.

I was trying to turn that nut after spraying a bunch of PB Blaster on it but was afraid of applying too much torque to it before researching a little. I didn't want to mess up my steering gear and it seems to need a lot if torque to loosen. The thing would not budge. I kept the outer tierod connected to the steering knuckle to help prevent damaging the steering gear, but any good ideas about how to proceed? I do not have access to a garage lift so I am just working with jackstands here. I guess I just need to get under there and muscle away, but any good ideas? Thanks.
If what you are referring to are the TIE ROD END and the TIE ROD (the TRE attaches to the steering knuckle and the TR attaches to the "rack") there should be a hex or flat side on the TRE so that you hold that while you loosen the nut and there should also be a flat side on the "tie rod" to hold it while you move the nut in "rust country". I have worked on tons of them on cars and that's the way they provide a way to hold it so you don't damage the "rack".
Old 07-12-2010, 03:34 PM
Something

Thumbs up

OK, that's what I figured. And my inner tie rods are loose as hell. All the thing wants to do is rotate as I try to loosen that nut to remove the tierod ends. I hope the other side is better, but I am not holding my breath. I just do not want to be buying a new rack. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xJimbos
OK, that's what I figured. And my inner tie rods are loose as hell. All the thing wants to do is rotate as I try to loosen that nut to remove the tierod ends. I hope the other side is better, but I am not holding my breath. I just do not want to be buying a new rack. Thanks for the help.
You do realize that there's a ball on the inner end of the "tie rod" don't you? Naturally it's going to rotate. Do You mean that there is actual play in and out like the ball is worn? That's what the flat sides on the "tie rod" are for, to hold it so it doesn't rotate when you take the nut off.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:44 PM
Something

Yup. You got it. I read somewhere to not let the inner rotate, but that was a different type of steering system I believe. Yeah, I just held the thing and torqued the hell out of that nut to loosen it. I guess I just didn't want to overlook anything, never did tie rods before. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:51 PM

Received 120 Likes on 97 Posts

If the tie rod end is still intact, toss it back into the hole and put the nut on it. Then you should be able to loosen the jam nut and then back off the tie rod end. You will need a vise grip to hold the bar from spinning.

You can also heat up the nut also with a torch.

I work part time as a mechanic and these are my tricks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any special way of loosening outer tie rods?