Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Any 4r75e transmission experts here?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 12:08 PM

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Any 4r75e transmission experts here?

Hey guys i have a 2006 f150 4x4 with 5.4 auto tranny with 217,000km.

Ive read a few other stories of these trucks clunking while driving down the road after braking then accelerating.

in mine after braking and hitting the gas agressively, i get a moment of rpm building slightly, possibly pressure building back up in tranny then this clunk happens.
so it seems to me its some kind of wear on a clutch pack or some other internal mechanism in the tranny.
normally i would say it wasnt a problem but i did have a possibly catastrophic failure of my tranny lately.

it was hesitating engaging when switching from forward to reverrse so i checked the fluid idling in park after this consistantly happened about ten times in same week.
the fluid level was just barely on the checkered area where it says to not add fluid if its this high. there was no evidence of leakage on driveway. Plus I was only days away from parking it until hunting season in november so i didnt add any fluid.

a couple days later i did a 150 km raodtrip where near the very end of the trip i notice some slipping or hesitation and rpm building when passing other vehicles.
on the final 2 kms i noticed burning smell and just barely got home. After looking under the vehicle it was easily apparent there was a massive leak somewhere as the whole bottom of truck was covered in tranny fluid from belllhousing back.

without going to a carwash it might be hard to tell where the leak is from.
neverthe less, i wanted to check and i had to dump in a whole 5 l jug atf just get it to move and park in garage for inspection.
i only had to move it 50 feet into gargae so not sure if this fully pressured up tranny internals but when inspecting underneath i found no obvious high pressure stream or drip from anywhere. hoses and rear seal seemed cleaner than area near bellhousing.

after idling and revving in park a bit all i could notice was a slow drip then occasional fast drip from flexplate cover area.

SO ... do I assume its front seal?

1. best case scenario it was a external hose leak & can be fixed for under 200 bucks
2. most likely its the front seal, $900 just for labor to remove and install tranny plus labor/parts to replace seal and do a quick internal inspection

3. those bands or clutches that caused Stxalldway described clunking plus my seal now warrant completely rebuilt tranny $3500 installed

Two local shops both quoted me 2100 cdn for rebuilt tranny and 900 to install

Im fairly mechanically inclined farmboy but no expert and i can get a rebuilt on kijiji for 1500 plus shipping and my core exchange

is it worth trying to save about 1000-1400 to try this myself, assuming nothing goes wrong.? considering i will need a couple helpers and tranny jack plus need directions how to remove top hard to reach tranny bolts never mind dozens of other tricks of the trade

Last edited by curtk69; 04-28-2015 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:02 PM

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

noone wants to weigh in on this tranny issue?

Quick Reply: Any 4r75e transmission experts here?