Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Amsoil Oil & Filter?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 10:21 PM

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Amsoil Oil & Filter?

So, I have one the 5.4 3V that has something shot in the timing system. I've ordered parts to replace everything and will be installing next week sometime.

Since these brand new parts have nearly broke me, I am pretty sure that I am going to use what I have been told is the best in the business ...

Amsoil Signature Series (probably in 5w-30)

First...what are your thoughts on this? Good idea?

Since joining this site, I have seen the heavy urging that goes on concerning ONLY using the MC 820 filter on our trucks. But if the anti-drain-back valve is the point of contention, Amsoil has stepped-up and made what appears to be a great filter with the same kind of ADB valve. Plus it filters better (according to testing).

MC 820? or the Amsoil filter?

I am guessing more than a few of you might be Amsoil distributors/dealers...I wanna hear from the consumers, please.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:08 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I have used 5W-20 synthetics and only 5W-20, I also live where it gets HOT and stays hot. I've tried Mobil 1, Quaker State, Pennzoil, Castrol, Valvoline and my truck does best with Mobil 1. I say this because with the Mobil 1 I don't have to top off before 5,000 miles when I do my oil change. Quaker State for some reason was the one my truck performed the worst with, I had to add a quart before 5K. I can get Mobil 1 from Walmart in 5 quart jugs for less than $28 ($5.60/quart) and my motor is clean and runs good.

I also use Mobil 1 oil filters, however, if I forget to order them I will use a Motorcraft or a good Wix. I order my Mobil 1 filters online from

http://www.filtersandwipers.com/Prod...1-210&CartID=1

I did the Mobil 1 oil and filters with my Expedition 5.4L and my Navigator 5.4L plus I now do this with my Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland with the 5.7 Hemi. The Hemi uses the same oil and filters as my truck so that makes buying bulk just as easy as before.

My personal opinion is that Amsoil is just not worth the extra $$$ that you pay in comparison to other synthetics and I buy the Mobil 1 filters because I get them for around $8 a filter. In the end it boils down to what you think is best for your vehicle and what your comfortable spending.
The following users liked this post:
GrimaceTimus (08-08-2013)
Old 08-08-2013, 02:47 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

8 bucks for a filter? Can get them all day at walmart for less than 4 bucks (motorcraft)
Old 08-08-2013, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by aoessand
8 bucks for a filter? Can get them all day at walmart for less than 4 bucks (motorcraft)
Agreed ... but the Amsoil does catch more contaminants (Amsoil 98% vs MC 93%) and is easily good to 10,000 miles (claim is 15,000 miles). I am pretty sure I'd never let an MC-820 go that long. 6000 miles absolute tops.

And that brings us back to the Amsoil 5w-20 (or 30). The whole point of a higher-end synthetic is better and longer protection. I read the studies and the oil tests. Under average conditions, the stuff has no problems protecting and lubricating for 10,000 miles. Amsoil claims lubricity all the way out to 25,000 miles for some applications (with a filter change every year / 15,000 miles.

I'm not saying I would necessarily wait 10K ... I have been pretty comfortable with 7500 miles in my Honda with OEM full synthetic. I have stretched that a time or two out to 8000...8200 and the oil still looks like it's brand new when I am draining it.

And since I am on the oil subject ... I'm no raging environmentalist (I respect nature and do hate to see her polluted), but I'd think that full synthetic should be in every new car ... any car with the tolerances to handle synoil. Gasoline certainly makes up the bulk of our dependence on foreign oil...but if everybody stopped using dino oil tomorrow and switch to full-syn, I'd think it would be something measurable in the way of trimming that dependence on foreign oil.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:20 AM

Oh ... you were talking about the MC filters versus the Mobile 1 filters ... my bad.

The Amsoil filters are like $17, minus 25% if you join their "buyer's club". So...about $12.75.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:55 AM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

I also feel Amsoil is very much overpriced for what you get when compared to a M1 or Penzoil Plat. I just had an analysis done on 5500 miles MC 5/20 and I cut open the MC filter. Filter looked great and the analysis couldn't have been better.

If you check PIQA you will see MC oil (syn blend) gets a thumbs up and many analysis with this oil can be found on forums.

Today's SN rated synthetics make Amsoil, RedLine, etc... a waste of money for most of our driving conditions. Unless your on a track of in the artic Amsoil won't provide you a benefit over M1 or PP.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:21 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Yes, yes I have heard this before, but for $4.00 I feel better about my vehicles. It is a small price to pay for a sense of well being whether it is false or not.

Originally Posted by Texasreb
In the end it boils down to what you think is best for your vehicle and what your comfortable spending.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:29 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, I have used Amsoil products in my 2005 F150 (and 2005 Mercury Montego) for 8 years with the peace of mind that I am using a quality product. I use the Amsoil EA-11 oil filter and the signature series 5w-30 in the F150. Since I drive 12,000 miles a year, I end up changing the oil once a year, per the guidelines that the filter and oil last at least 15,000 miles. Some folks may be uncomfortable leaving the oil in this long (and I get that), so perhaps every 6 months is more comfortable for folks.

perhaps the Amsoil product is higher in cost, but I justify the cost with a) less frequent changes (still check the fluid levels on a regular basis though) b) peace of mind that I am using a quality product c) less product used throughout the year...

Anyway, at 90,000 miles on the truck and 120,000 on the car, I have had no failures and no indications of abnormal wear/etc.

Just my $.02 worth....
The following users liked this post:
GrimaceTimus (08-08-2013)
Old 08-08-2013, 12:55 PM

Well, I had settled in on the Mobil 1 EP and the Amsoil SS because they are the ONLY two full synthetics (as of 01/2013 anyway) that are Class IV PAO rated. I am guessing the Royal Purple (even more expensive) and the Redline (holy crap...what is it gold!?!) are high quality PAOs ... but in the mainstream, the M1-EP and AmsSS are the only contenders.

I am leaning Amsoil because of their filter. Everything I read says they are hands-down the best. The Wix and Napa Gold (same filter) come close, but I am looking for maximum protection. This $16,000 truck (that I paid $18K for) ... I am already into it another $2K in parts, tires and fluids ... and I haven't even made the first payment yet. This sucker has to last me at least another 100K miles, hopefully mostly trouble-free and I guess I am willing to pay a little more for piece of mind / insurance.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:04 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I used Motorcraft filter and Royal Purple 5W-30 and it has been the best thing yet for my truck.. It has made the truck so quiet now and it runs mic smoother. I highly recommend this combination it works great!!!

Quick Reply: Amsoil Oil & Filter?