Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Am i getting scammed or just paranoid?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 01:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Am i getting scammed or just paranoid?

Hey guys im selling my truck locally because i need to down size to an suv and was wondering if anyone thinks that i might be getting scammed. I have never sold a vehicle and have done my best to research online. Heres the deal i had my truck for sale on craigslist for just under a month and i way over priced it. Three weeks after i posted i get a reply from a very persisant person who wants to come and look at it right away. So we set up a date and time and he really likes what he saw and was willing to pay full price.He says its for his boss's company and that his boss thinks it over priced but still wants to buy it for his employees company vehicle. He then goes to tell me he wants to give me a check for $5000 to deposit and cash it right away just to make sure i wont sell the truck to anyone else. He says he will pick up the truck and make the rest of the payment after he returns from out of town (this is the fishy part). Later in the evening he sends me an e-mail asking to send him the bill of sale,full name, address, vin and that he will send the cheque of $5,000 the next day so i can deposit and cash it right away. So i told him that we can do the deal when he gets back from out of town with the full amount and not to worry that i will not sell the vehicle to anyone else. He then requested to have my last name so he can have payment ready. After all of this i went online and found something that seems familiar at this link. http://www.swapmeetdave.com/Scam/
Any thoughts on this? Am i just the most paraniod person in the world?
Old 01-04-2010, 02:03 AM

Received 434 Likes on 289 Posts

Nope, scam.

The check will be bogus, the buyer won't like the truck, will want the money back, but the check will bounce.

Tell them to go to hell.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:33 AM

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gone postal
Nope, scam.

The check will be bogus, the buyer won't like the truck, will want the money back, but the check will bounce.

Tell them to go to hell.
X2! Tell him to bring you $5k in cash or send it via Western Union - that will stop the BS. You might want to call the police, but I doubt if they will do anything.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:32 AM
big cube 426

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

def. scam.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:57 AM

sounds kinda fishy to me too, I would just tell him that you want the amount in full before any paperwork is done, and if he writes you a check, tell him you are holding the check until it clears. as a matter of fact just dont take checks for anybody for an amount that big, make them get a money order or a casheir's check. DO NOT TAKE A PERSONAL CHECK. cash, money order, cashier's cehck. nothing else.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:04 AM

Received 434 Likes on 289 Posts

be careful with cashier's checks.

Lots of people have gotten scammed with supposedly genuine cashier's checks.

Look, the guy is trying to use you as a shill to scam cash. Hell, get him to mail the check then turn him in to the postal inspectors for mail fraud.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dont do paypal. they are now able to hack in through the acct and take the money back plus they can take money out of any back acct linked to that paypal acct. definitely have to be careful when using craigslist. one thing i noticed is alot of @gmail.com accts are going to be a hoax.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:46 AM

This guy said it's overpriced but he's gonna buy it anyway?? This guy wants personal info about you - did he give any verifyable info about himself?

Got any lawer friends? or even hire one for a few bucks. have the "buyer" to send the funds to your lawer...........

I think you have two choices here:

Insist on doing the deal in green cash money only. -or - walk the other way.

in any case, don't give up title until you are sure you have every last cent!

Bob the Fool

P.S. your local State's Attourney's office would probable like to hear your story.

Last edited by foolwitools; 01-04-2010 at 08:50 AM.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a scam. I was selling a bmx bicycle on craigslist, and got the same EXACT scam offered to me. I told them to "f" off.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:24 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Had the same thing with my quad I was trying to sell on CL. It's def a scam.

Quick Reply: Am i getting scammed or just paranoid?