Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

An alternative to the 5.4 3v.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 06:00 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default An alternative to the 5.4 3v.

I just thought I'd let everyone know that I have my 5.4 4v powered 04 F150 running and driving. I'm still dialing in the tune a little, and I have some odds and ends, but I drive the truck and it drives well.

I can give you guys a rough cost estimate for what I spent, so you can decide if such an undertaking is worth doing.

Parts I reused:
Fuel rail. I modified it to fit the Boss 302 intake
Oil pan. Direct fit on the navigator motor
Power steering pump reservoir and bracket. Pretty much direct fit.
Radiator.
A/C Compressor. I haven't charged up the A/C yet, but that's coming.
Fuel Injectors.
MAF Sensor.

Parts I purchased:
04 Lincoln Navigator 5.4 4v (84k miles)- $1600+tax (complete with coils)
2011+ Mustang Boss 302 intake - $500
96-98 Mustang Cobra coolant crossover tube & plug - $70
O-rings for 96-98 Mustang Cobra coolant crossover (2) (they might be listed under a 97 lincoln mark viii) - $10
96-98 Mustang Cobra thermostat housing and radiator hoses - $90
Airaid U-Build-It Cold Air Intake - $300
Airaid MAF sensor housing (hitachi style) - $50
04 Lincoln Navigator alternator - $65
2011+ Mustang GT throttle body - $165
5.4 4v to Boss 302 intake adaptor plates - $220
96-98 mustang cobra alternator bracket - $30
SCT Xcal3 - $250
SCT PRP -$300

Parts I modified:
Transmission dipstick tube - I cut the bracket off, it wouldn't fit otherwise
Fuel rail - I cut the braided line off and used high pressure fuel hose
Heads - To fit the intake, I had to grind some material off on the valley side of the heads.
Alternator bracket - One side fits fine, the other has to be modified because it is too short for the wider 5.4.
Wiring harness - I had to rerun the wires for the drive by wire throttle body and lengthen the wires for the coils.

I'm not saying this is a complete list or the prices are 100% accurate, but from memory this is pretty complete.

If anyone has any questions, let me know. This motor is a TIGHT squeeze in these trucks.
The following 2 users liked this post by CobraJeff27:
jwieler88 (02-16-2015), nfldfordman (02-17-2015)
Old 07-03-2014, 07:07 PM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Nice! I'm happy to see you take the time to tell about a 4v swap...
Any pics??

Did you have to widen the span on the few rail? Hence cutting the braided and adding length with hose? Or was this just to use the boss intake?

Would it be possible to bolt up the 3v intake manifold with the 4v heads?
Old 07-03-2014, 07:17 PM

I'll try to get some pictures this evening.

The 3v intake will not work. The ports are completely different. The Boss302 intake ports are just similar enough that the adapter plates make it work well.

The 5.4 4v is a wide motor. I had to widen the bracket for the alternator, the fuel rail, and the coolant crossover tube. This is part of why it's such a tight fit in this body style truck.

I got a start up tune from Don Lasota at Lasota Racing (excellent customer service by the way!). It ran very poorly, but I did some datalogging and made adjustments. I've had to make considerable adjustments to the fuel trims (to adjust air/fuel ratio) and the amount of air used during cranking. I've yet to adjust the spark up to increase power, but it will already spin the tires off.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:20 PM

Also, I forgot to mention, the midpipe will not bolt up to the manifolds on the 4v motor. I had to cut them off after the 1st catalytic converter and drive it to an exhaust shop to have a piece added in the middle that helped with fitment.

I also couldn't use the mechanical fan. I upgraded to the 2010 F-150 Electric fan with a Painless Wiring fan controller.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:48 PM
Sheep Dog

Received 327 Likes on 196 Posts

From what I understand, the blocks are all the same as far as they will all bolt up to any 2v, 3v, or 4v heads. The only thing that makes a 4v wider is the heads. Theoretically, one could re-use their stock block and get some 4V heads from a junkyard. The only potential problem is maybe needing to flycut the pistons to accommodate the 4 valves?
Old 07-03-2014, 07:55 PM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Are you running the pro tuner software from SCT? If so, how do you like it? Been considering buying it myself...

So the ports on the heads are different but the bolt pattern is the same? I'm assuming they are bigger given 4 valves. Do you suppose a port job on an aluminum intake manifold for a 3v would be a viable option?..
Old 07-04-2014, 10:32 AM

The blocks are almost identical. I'm sure 4v heads would work on a 3v block, but you'd need a new timing cover, new timing chains, 4v heads, etc. It's much easier to just swap the entire motor.

I am using SCT Pro Racer software. I have it for my truck and my 97 Cobra. It's actually not that difficult, but I HIGHLY recommend if you buy it, buy it from Don Lasota. He sells a book that will teach you how to get started, and will include a baseline tune if you buy these from him. He answers emails late at night, on weekends, etc. Excellent customer service!

The port shape is just very different between the heads. The 3v has wide but narrow ports, whereas the 4v has more rounded ports. I just don't think that intake will work, but someone might be able to fabricate adapter plates. The adapter plates I used already exist and were made/sold by Modular Motorsports Racing (MMR).

And now it's time for pictures-

The following users liked this post:
chunks7mm (07-04-2014)
Old 02-15-2015, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would you care to elaborate on your build a bit? I have most of the parts ready for this swap from what you listed in your OP, save for the BOSS intake, I'm still trying to find a good deal on one. My main concern is the wiring, mainly, how do the 4v coils work with the 3v wiring. Also, looking at the Mustang TB, it has 1 connector with 6 pins, whereas the 3v has a four pin TPS and a two pin motor connector. Is wiring up the new TB as simple as splicing the wires from the 2 connectors into 1?

I have a lot of respect for what you did. Without your inspiration I would not have had the courage to take the plunge. I'm just looking forward to getting rid of my damn phasers
Old 02-15-2015, 08:54 PM
BAMF Club

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

Any dyno graphs? What transmission are you running?
Old 02-16-2015, 05:25 AM

I will answer any questions you have to the best of my ability.

The coils don't have to be rewired. I might have had to lengthen the wires but that's it.

The throttle body is not too bad. It is the 2 connectors combined into 1. I may still have the wiring diagrams.

I would recommend switching to a 4.6 computer. Without the cam sensors, my truck is in waste spark mode. This is going to be part of my current project. The cam senses differently between the 3v and 2v but 4v and 2v are the same. The difference being the VCT.

The boss intake is not excellent for torque. If someone could figure out how to relocate the alternator (think 04 cobra), the truck 5.0 intake would be superior.

If you decide to stick with the boss intake, cams and/or gears would help. I towed a truck 3 weeks ago from Georgia to Tennessee with my truck so it's capable just not a torque monster.

I used an airaid u build it intake and i had to switch to electric fans. i modified the f150 fuel rail to work with the boss intake. I slotted the holes for the mounting tabs and used a piece of fuel injection hose to connect the two sides together.

I have no dyno numbers. I am using the 4r75e transmission. You have to use what the ecu is programmed for. This is non negotiable. I would have lived to switch to a 4r100 or even 6r100. Maybe a later project?

I'm currently swapping to an eaton m112 from an 04 cobra. However my truck ran pretty decent with the old setup. The cost for cams and gears was very close to the supercharger so i figured why not.

Any other questions, let me know.

Oh, if you wait about a month I'll be selling my boss intake. I clearanced it in the back to fit under the cowl panel of the truck... still a tight fit.
The following users liked this post:
jwieler88 (02-16-2015)

Quick Reply: An alternative to the 5.4 3v.