Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Alt. failure, no battery light

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 08:36 AM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

Default Alt. failure, no battery light

My original alternator just died. It went 12 years and 143,000 mi. so I can't complain, but I found it odd that the light didn't come on. It comes on during the pre-start lamp test, so the bulb is good. As much as I don't like "idiot lights", the charge light is one that almost always works. Yesterday afternoon I noticed a high idle and an exaggerated off-idle surge (it's always had a touch of that). When I got home and shut it off the gauges all fluttered and chattered for several seconds, and the next start was very labored. At that point I noticed the voltage on my Edge was showing 11. Oh well, nothing a trip to the dealer and $300 didn't fix. I have to say, it's probably the easiest alt. I've ever replaced. I was curious if anybody else has had and alternator fail with no MIL. Thanks.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:21 PM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

Anything's possible. On the opposite end, I once worked on a Dodge Neon that had the dash light on but could never find any problems with the charging system. Just goes to show you can't rely solely on warning lights alone.