Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

For all the leveled and lifted trucks out there.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default For all the leveled and lifted trucks out there.....

Hey,

So what do you guys do with your factory jack? I mean, I had a flat the other day and my jack did not raise my truck high enough to remove my flat tire. Luckily my neighbor had a floor jack.

I really don't want to spend money and buy another jack, so any advice would be helpful!

Thanks!
Old 02-08-2011, 11:58 AM

Buy a jack!!
Old 02-08-2011, 12:02 PM
SRH

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You mean the factory deathtrap, well If I'm on the road I'm effed. Other than that I have a regular floor Jack at home that does the job with a piece of wood on it
Old 02-08-2011, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by SRH
You mean the factory deathtrap, well If I'm on the road I'm effed. Other than that I have a regular floor Jack at home that does the job with a piece of wood on it

You think having a couple pieces of wood "under" the jack will be safe? Do you think it'll hold? It sounds safe to me, maybe I'll do that....
Old 02-08-2011, 01:06 PM

We've all improvised in dier situations but blocks of wood & jacks aren't safe.

Go to harbor frieght and pickup a 3 ton jack for $100. Your life is worth $100? I'm sure several people on here know ofpeople who've been killed or seriously hurt working under a car/truck.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by 4GreenFords

Go to harbor frieght and pickup a 3 ton jack for $100. Your life is worth $100? I'm sure several people on here know ofpeople who've been killed or seriously hurt working under a car/truck.

Thanks for the site, looks like a pretty good deal.

But what if have a flat and you're stranded in the middle of no where and all you have is your factory jack. Will it be safe to just use the block of wood to just change out the tire into your spare? I can't imagine carrying around a floor jack everywhere.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:44 PM

A block of wood will be fine. I would have a nice jack at home for when I need to do the work but a block of wood will be fine to use. You need to use common sense and not position it on a sharp point where you're more or less making a log splitter. If you have the wood positioned on a flat, smooth surface you won't have any problem lifting the truck safely. I see wood used all the time to hold up trucks much bigger than your (semi trucks). What do you think they use to hold up houses when they jack them?
Old 02-08-2011, 01:56 PM
SRH

Originally Posted by 4GreenFords

well i have never used the factory jack, i used a piece of wood on our 3 ton jack, since it would not lift the truck high enough to take off the wheels( 1 at a time of course) to work on the brakes, then we use our jack stands just in case.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:48 PM

my factory jack always reaches my truck with 35's fine for rotating and putting my tires on. I also bought a hi-lift just in case
Old 02-08-2011, 03:20 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

my factory bottle jack under the rear seat works fine with my leveled truck. ive used it on the side of the road once to put my spare on and i was surprised how calm i stayed... very little cursing...

my older ram(2001 off road edition) was lifted too high for the factory jack and my floor jack so i built "jack pads" similar to what a crane uses to set the outrigger feet on. i used LVL scraps(wooden beams) and built about a 2ft square and it was about 6" thick. i then cut notches in the top so my floor jack wheels fit in the notches not allowing the jack to move on the wood... i also built jack stand pads out of 2x10's and stacked them about 8" high, nailing each board as i stacked them....(yea im an ex-framer, carpenter... housing market forced me to change careers)

Quick Reply: For all the leveled and lifted trucks out there.....