Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Airlift LoadLifter 5000 2 wheel or 4 wheel drive?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 02:37 PM

Received 147 Likes on 125 Posts
Default Airlift LoadLifter 5000 2 wheel or 4 wheel drive?

Hey guys,

so I've been browsing this forum for years and never joined or posted because every question I had, there was an answer here or anytime I thought i had useful advice, It was already given.

I have a 4x4 06 f150 with a 4 inch lift and I've been looking for some airbag helpers for a while. the vast majority don't seen like they would work without some modification due to my lift and even then, the lower axle mounts seem to look pretty weak and many times kind of homemade. Like someone bought a universal kit and needed to go through their junk pile of scrap metal to make it work.

I finally found some that the lower mounts look halfway decent; however, Like always, there will have to be some modification to make it work with my lift. the airlift loadlifter 5000 (i know that's super overkill for a 1/2 ton truck but the mounts look easiest to work with). from looking at the installation pics, the 4x4 option doesn't seem like it will work because the portion closest to the leaf springs key off the bumpstop ears from the factory 4x4 lift blocks. My 3 inch lift blocks don't have the bumpstop ears and even if I switched them to ones that did, the portion of the lower bracket that is farthest from the leaf springs is a fixed height which I'm guessing is around 1.5 to 2 inches high... again won't work. so I looked at the 2 wheel drive option and it looks like it only keys off the space in between the ubolts... with some spacers (Airlift makes spacers for lifted trucks) it seems like this would work the best; however, when I've contacted Airlift about their opinion, they say get the 4x4 kit and buy some blocks with the bumpstop ears. I don't know if i'm explaining it poorly to them or if I've just got bad tech support people (not a knock on them, everyone has some difficult employees) or they are giving me good advice and I don't understand how it will work.

so I'm hear looking for advice... do you guys think the 2 wheel drive option will work with some spacers between the lower axle mount and the airbag? or any other advice? here are some picks showing the difference between the 2 mounts.

Last edited by uzikaduzi; 03-24-2014 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:25 AM

Received 147 Likes on 125 Posts

i think from scouring the internet and the lack of response to this post i have to assume that there aren't many people adding air bags to lifted 04-08 f150's... maybe i should just find something like an overload spring.

Quick Reply: Airlift LoadLifter 5000 2 wheel or 4 wheel drive?